College of Arts and Sciences

Today and tomorrow

Bright, bracing weather welcomed us back to campus in 2022. After some well-deserved rest over the holidays, January's crisp mornings invite us to look forward. 

As you know, this week President Hanycz invited us together to build Xavier's next Strategic Plan. I strongly encourage every member of CAS to engage this important process with enthusiasm and hope.

At the same time, I recognize that some of last year's challenges continue. COVID-19 once again is demanding that we adapt. Masks are back, and this week several local school districts have switched to remote learning. I know well how much additional burden that places on parents of school-age children.

So I welcome the recent response from the COVID-19 Task Force to your and my queries, which Provost Chrastil asked the deans to communicate to faculty and staff with her endorsement:

We understand the immediate challenges that you may be facing if you have children at home that are suddenly now being taught remotely. We encourage you to work directly with your department chair or supervisor to determine if and how your work duties and responsibilities can be performed remotely during this time.

Thank you for continuing to support one another as we deal with today's challenges while planning for the university's future.