College of Arts and Sciences

Changes, hopes, uncertainties

"How is the beginning of your semester going?"

At yesterday's all-day diversity and inclusion training for some campus leaders, I must have been asked that half a dozen times. 

To this polite, well-intentioned greeting, I never managed a coherent response. It's complicated. Too early to know. And I haven't had a moment yet to reflect. 

Certainly I'm thrilled to see all of our students back together on campus, including those who again last evening filled my own Goa classroom with their energy. 

I'm buoyed too with hope for the start of President Hanycz's administration, encouraged by the promising recommendations of our 
CAS summer task forces, and thankful for our reassuringly high vaccination rates

I am also astounded that the historically rapid development of effective vaccines against COVID-19 led this week to the 
first mRNA vaccine ever approved by the FDA for humans -- and then led last night to Xavier's new requirement that all students receive these life-saving vaccinations. 

I fully support that decision, to bolster further what I believe to be the effective measures we have in place to limit the risk of classroom COVID transmission.

Yet at the same time, I'm concerned. For the Delta variant, and what we don't yet know about breakthrough and other cases. For my students and the rapidly increasing number of others who missed classes this week after positive COVID-19 tests (if so far with reassuringly mild symptoms). For our faculty and staff feeling vulnerable and at risk, personally or for loved ones. For all those around our globe dealing with disaster, violence, and injustice. And yes, also for missing textbooks.

And finally, I am experiencing the the uncertainty that accompanies change. That includes Provost Baumann's decision to step down, after four years of pouring all her efforts into strengthening our university. 

How's the semester so far? I don't yet know. 

And you? I'm curious to know about your own reflections during this time. What gives you hope and encouragement? What is causing you concern or anxiety? What else is on your mind?

I invite you to 
take a few moments to tell me what's on your mind-- anonymously, unless you prefer to identify yourself.