For the 16th straight year, Xavier University ranks among the top 10 Midwest colleges and universities, according to the U.S. News & World Report rankings released today, Tuesday, Aug. 17.
The 2011 edition of "America’s Best Colleges" ranks Xavier No. 3 among more than 142 Midwest colleges and universities ranked by the publication in this category. Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, also a Jesuit school, took the No. 1 spot. Butler University in Indianapolis was ranked second, and Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, tied with Xavier for third.
Xavier was also ranked No. 3 last year.
This year, U.S. News & World Report created new categories that designate schools as either National Universities, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Regional Universities or Regional Colleges in its annual rankings. Xavier is included iin the Regional Universities, formerly known as Universities-Master’s. Regional Universities are sorted by geographic location. Xavier is in the Midwest region. Institutions under the Regional category provide a full range of undergraduate majors and master’s programs, but unlike national universities, offer few, if any, doctoral programs.
Xavier ranked well in several categories:
- In the category of average graduation rate, Xavier ranked first in the Midwest with 78 percent.
- With an 87 percent average freshmen retention rate, Xavier ranked second in the Midwest.
- Xavier was ranked fourth in the Midwest in the category of Up and Coming schools.
- In the category of Strong Focus on Student Success, Xavier was listed as a good school for first-year experiences.
- Xavier was ranked fourth in the Midwest in Strong Commitment to Teaching.
- Xavier is also listed as an A-plus School for B Students in the Midwest.
- Xavier was ranked third in the Midwest in alumni giving at 23 percent.
U.S. News & World Report rankings are based on several key measures of quality: peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources and alumni giving.
A detailed report on the rankings and methodology may be found at the U.S. News and World Report website at www.usnews.com.