The official start of the college basketball season, known as Musketeer Madness, takes place during Xavier's Family Weekend, which has events on Friday, Oct. 23, and Saturday, Oct. 24. Students invite parents and siblings to explore their home-away-from home and experience life on campus. Families can participate in many events such as Taste of Xavier, the Xavier Players’ production of Children of Eden, Bingo Bash, a construction presentation, scavenger hunt, Mass, Gospel Choir, club sports competitions, and more.
But Musketeer Madness is the highlight. While the weekend is geared for the families of current students, Musketeer Madness is for everyone. Musketeer Madness 2009, hosted by Xavier Athletics and presented by Skyline Chili, takes place at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 24. Attendance and parking are free.
This year’s X-Shirt is being revealed at Musketeer Madness. Every year, the X-Shirt committee designs a shirt, which is sold as a fundraiser for charity. The unveiling of the secret design is just after 7:00 p.m. in front of the Cintas Center. The committee is presenting a check from last year's sales to A Kid Again, a Cincinnati organization that provides adventures to children with life-threatening diseases.
Proceeds from this year’s X-shirt will go to Cooperative for Education, a Cincinnati based non-profit organization that provides textbooks and educational opportunities to underprivileged children in Guatemala. Shirts are on sale for $18 after the unveiling.
A schedule for Musketeer Madness includes:
• 5:00 p.m. - Pre-Madness party on the Cintas Center plaza with food and games for children.
• 7:00 p.m. - The men’s and women’s basketball team players are introduced, and the players sign autographs, pose for pictures and discuss the upcoming season with fans.
• The X-Shirt is unveiled.
• 7.15 p.m. - Fans take on Brad Redford and a women’s player in 3-point contests.
• 7:45 p.m. - Dunk contest.
• 8:00 p.m. - Men’s and women’s basketball intrasquad scrimmages.
• 9:00 p.m. - Conclusion of Musketeer Madness.
For more information about Family Weekend, please visit the web site or call 513-745-3413.