Writing Resources for Students
- Plagiarism at Xavier: Discusses the need for citation and the definitions of plagiarism.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing: Here's all the information you need on all aspects of writing (comprehensive instruction on sentence level, paragraph level and essay level concerns). Much of the information can be downloaded in the form of a Power Point presentation. Also includes samples of business letters, application letters, resumes and research papers. The site is completely searchable, and as if that weren't enough, an amazing backlog of grammar questions and answers is posted. (If you can't find what you need, the site offers a personal answer to any grammar question you e-mail. Response promised within 1-2 days.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: This online writing center at Purdue University has an amazing library of 100 handouts on common writing problems.
- The University of Victoria's Hypertext Writing Guide: Gives short lessons on writing-related topics with clear introductions to each topic area. Contains a dictionary of basic literary terms and common grading abbreviations (such as "AWK").
- The Writer's Web: Created by the writing center at the University of Richmond, this site offers good "getting started" questions as well as articles on writing in different disciplines.
Writing about Literature
- Links on Writing About Literature: Compiled by the University of Toronto
Finding and Evaluating Sources
- A Student's Guide to Research with the WWW: This site offers a tutorial on evaluating web sources and web search strategies. It is geared for first year college students.
References, Thesauruses, and Dictionaries
- Bartleby.com / Great Books Online: Bartelby.com offers many literature classics online (in their entirety), for free. This site also offers on-line editions of dictionaries, thesauri, encyclopedias, quotations and style guides by such language mavens as Strunk, Mencken and Sapir.
- Online Encyclopedia
- Online Reference Desk: Great for finding facts on the web.
- Psychology Student Resources
- Roget's Thesaurus