Students will spend nine days immersing themselves in the complex social, political, historical and economic reality of Cuba. During the program, students will explore changing and emerging business models and contrasting economic systems and views. A key focus of the travel course is for students to better understand the opportunities and challenges facing international business managers and decision makers.
- Location: Cuba (Havana, Regla, Pinar del Río, Viñales)
- Dates: March 1-9, 2014
- Business visits may include Taverna de la Muralla, Center for Bank System Training, Camilo Cienfuegos Cooperative, CANEC Consulting
- Presentations will cover economic and business development, tourism, Cuban legal and banking systems, methods and sources of foreign investments, trading partners and relationship with the United States government
- Cultural highlights include tour of Old Havana, dinner at “palador” (home-based restaurant), farmer’s market, Wall of Pre-History, San Tomás Caves, and more.
- Earn 3 hours (BUAD 484)—Doing Business in Cuba
- Course fulfills: INBU, MKTG, ECON (with permission) or business elective
- Pre-requisites: MTKG 300 and ECON 300 (or by permission of instructor)
- Course components: 2 pre-trip orientations, 2-week study tour and post-trip assignments/presentations
- Lead instructor: Dr. Thomas Hayes, Department of Marketing
- Eligibility: Junior or senior status and 2.75 GPA or better
- Program fee: $3850 includes airfare, lodging, ground transportation, business meetings and lectures, excursions, visas and 2 meals per day
- Not included: hotel incidentals, personal meals and expenses
- Scholarships and financial aid opportunities are available
Note: US regulations now allows the following categories of individuals to travel to Cuba: (1) students traveling under specific authorization of their university for credit towards a degree and (2) university faculty and staff traveling for authorized purposes for their university. Our tour operator has license to organize our passage and activities in Cuba.