Requirements for the SHRM Minor:
The Department of Management, Entrepreneurship and Strategic Human Resources offers the minor in Strategic Human Resources Management (SHRM).
The SHRM minor prepares students to contribute to organizational effectiveness through effective human resource management. Effective human resource management creates an environment in which people can do their best work, contributing to achievement of an organization’s vision, mission, and strategic objectives while also respecting the dignity of employees as human beings.
This minor is available to any undergraduate student. It is designed to give business and non-business majors skills that will enhance their attractiveness to employers upon graduation. Since all managers are people managers, the Strategic HRM minor benefits all future managers. It also provides an opportunity to pursue a business specialty in HR. Strategic HRM concerns the total activity of an organization, business, or firm as these activities relate to the work force. Such activities include employment law, recruiting and selection, training and development, performance management, compensation and benefits, workplace diversity, and labor relations.
Outside of the classroom, students may expand their knowledge by participating in a part-time or full-time internship in human resources. Credit and non-credit opportunities are available.
Minor Requirements: 15 total credit hours required, as follows:
12 hours specifically required:
- SHRM 200 - Human Resources In a Diverse Society
- SHRM 345 - Compensation
- SHRM 360 - Staffing
- SHRM 370 - Training and Development
3 hours from electives:
- SHRM 303 - Human Resources Internship I or SHRM 403 - Human Resources Internship II
- SHRM 302 - Labor Relations
- SHRM 309 - Change Management
- SHRM 325 - International Human Resources
- SHRM 404 - Advanced Topics In SHRM
- SHRM 495 - SHRM Capstone
- SHRM 200 is part of the business core completed by all business majors
- No more than 3 hours may double count between MGMT major and SHRM minor (excluding SHRM 200, which is fulfilled in the business core; this is not considered double counting)
- A 2.000 cumulative average must be attained in the courses of the minor