Academic Credit for MBAs
An MBA student may participate in an internship and elect to earn three academic credits. No more than one internship for credit is permitted per student. The MBA Internship will count as a three credit hour elective course in the MBA program and will be applicable for the General Business concentration only.
The following academic and administrative requirements must be met by an MBA student to participate in an MBA Internship course:
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00.
- Successfully completed (or in process) 18 hours of 600 level coursework and the student must, at least, be in their second semester at Xavier.
- Have maintained full time status (9 or more credit hours per semester) for the majority of the MBA program.
- Job duties must be in area unrelated to a past or current position regardless of whether the internship is with a current or prior employer.
- Schedule a face to face meeting with your internship professor to discuss the academic requirements of the course and complete the Internship Agreement form.
- Submit a completed Internship Agreement form (with your internship supervisor's signature, your internship professor's signature and your signature) to Jennifer Bush, Assistant Dean, MBA Programs, by 5pm on the third Friday of the semester in which you are serving the internship.
- You must accumulate at least 200 hours of on-the-job experience.
- Your internship must be served during the same academic semester in which you are registered. No retroactive internships allowed! For example, you cannot work a summer internship and seek credit for fall semester. You can, however, begin an internship during spring semester and continue working through the summer and seek credit for summer semester.
- Internship must pay at least minimum wage unless the organization is a non-profit or exempt government agency due to U.S. Dept. of Labor guidelines.
Additional Eligibility Notes
MBA students working full time are NOT eligible for the Internship Program.
Students in F1 or J1 immigration status who are seeking an internship must work in conjunction with the Center for International Education to ensure compliance with federal regulations.
A student with any hold - whether bursar or academic - may not participate in the Internship Program until the hold issue is successfully resolved.
Where can I find the Internship Agreement Form?
The MBA Internship Agreement form is available here.
Can I Do More Than One Internship For Credit?
MBA students may complete two internship experiences for academic credit.
Are There Any Fees Associated With The Internship Course?
You will be charged a fee of $250 for the internship. This cannot be waived. The charge is applied via your bursar bill.
MBA tuition charges for 3 credit hours apply to the MBA Internship course (regardless of semester).
How Is My Internship Course Grade Determined?
An internship is treated the same as any classroom course at Xavier. You will have a professor, a syllabus, an academic project to complete, and you will receive a letter grade. Your final grade is assigned by your internship professor. It is weighted and based on the following documents:
50% academic project: The project (and due date(s)) is determined, assigned and delineated by your internship professor in his/her syllabus. The academic project's scope and content vary depending on each professor.
50% mid-term and final evaluation from your employer: These are completed electronically by your supervisor. The Internship Program Coordinator will collect and compile these evaluations.
Who are the Internship Professors?
If you are earning credit for your internship, you will be under the direction and guidance of a Xavier professor. This professor will be monitoring and supervising your progress; will be available to you for technical assistance and advice; will consult with your internship supervisor; will stay in communication with you; will evaluate your performance; and will assign you a grade at the conclusion of the internship.
Choose the appropriate internship professor by identifying the industry/area of study associated with the job duties and responsibilities of your proposed MBA internship. Contact the professor accordingly.
|Accountancy||Dr. Sandra Richtermeyer||234 SMHfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Economics||Dr. Steve Cobb||323 SMHemail@example.com|
|Finance||Ms. Kimberly Renners||225 SMHfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Management Info. Systems||Dr. Adekunle Okunoye||207 SMHemail@example.com|
|Management||Dr. Daewoo Park||330 SMHfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Marketing||Dr. Bob (Roshan) Ahuja||305 SMHemail@example.com|