DEA (Chapter 35)
This chapter provides benefits to dependents of certain Veterans. The eligibility process includes:
- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.
- VA determined has a service-connected permanent and total disability
- At the time of the VA’s determination is a member of the Armed Forces who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care, services or treatment and is likely to be discharged or released from service for this service-connected disability.
Should you be eligible for up to 45 months with these educational benefits:
- Apply to Xavier University.
- Apply on the VONAPP. Once your application for VA Education benefits has been approved by the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility via US mail.
- Email the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon being admitted to Xavier, schedule an appointment with the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes, to schedule courses (undergraduate students only). Graduate students should contact their program director or academic department for guidance on scheduling courses.
- After you have scheduled courses, complete the VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form. You will complete this form each semester you intend to use your benefits AFTER you schedule courses.
- If you have previously used VA Education benefits at another university/college, please complete VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Return a copy of this form to the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes, at email@example.com.
- Verify your enrollment with the Veterans Administration through the WAVE system; you will be expected to do this each month you are enrolled in courses. This is required to receive your monthly payment.