DEA (Chapter 35)
This chapter provides benefits to dependents of certain Veterans. The eligibility process includes:
- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.
- VA determined has a service-connected permanent and total disability
- At the time of the VA’s determination is a member of the Armed Forces who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care, services or treatment and is likely to be discharged or released from service for this service-connected disability.
Should you be eligible for up to 45 months with these educational benefits:
- Apply to Xavier University.
- Fill out the VA Form 22-5490, Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits and submit it to the VA Regional Office in your State.
- Upon acceptance by Xavier, email Advisor (Patricia Meyer) at email@example.com to inquire about your class options.
- Email Certification Form and Class Schedule to Financial Aid Officer (Allen Cole) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email the Assistant Director of Veterans Affairs (Chris Klug) at email@example.com to inform him that you have completed the application process.