DEA (Chapter 35)
This chapter provides benefits to dependents of certain Veterans. The eligibility process includes:
- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.
- VA determined has a service-connected permanent and total disability
- At the time of the VA’s determination is a member of the Armed Forces who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient medical care, services or treatment and is likely to be discharged or released from service for this service-connected disability.
Should you be eligible for up to 45 months with these educational benefits:
- Apply to Xavier University.
- Apply on the VONAPP. Once your application for VA Education benefits has been approved by the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility via US mail.
- Email the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon being admitted to Xavier, schedule an appointment with the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes, to schedule courses.
- After you have scheduled courses, complete the VA Education Benefits Enrollment Request Form. You will complete this form each semester you intend to use your benefits AFTER you schedule courses.
- If you have previously used VA Education benefits at another university/college, please complete VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Return a copy of this form to the Veterans Advisor, Brad Fittes, at email@example.com.
- Verify your enrollment with the Veterans Administration through the WAVE system; you will be expected to do this each month you are enrolled in courses. This is required to receive your monthly payment.