Computers & Equipment
Support For Your Computer
The Connection Center
The Connection Center, located on the main floor of the Conaton Learning Commons, houses the Library Circulation, the Library Research Help, and Technical Support within a single integrated service point, providing technological and informational support for Xavier’s students, faculty and staff.
At the Connection Center Desk we will work with you to maintain the health and functionality of your computer. The following are the support services offered for student personal computers.
- Facilitating your connection to the residential wired network or the campus wireless network
- We will provide documentation to help you create a Xavier account or help you to unlock or refresh an existing network account.
- We will help you determine whether your network card is correctly configured to properly function on the Xavier network. (It is the student's responsibility to insure that their computer is running properly and is free of malware such as viruses and spyware).
- We will facilitate your access to the network-based services provided by Xavier for student use, including your Outlook Web Access email account, the Xplore library catalog, the OhioLink catalog, library research databases, the Blackboard LMS, the MyXU portal, the Road to Xavier portal and student self-service features in the University’s enterprise system. If your access to these network-based services is blocked or limited by problems on your computer, you will be offered use of the University labs as a temporary alternative.
- We will assist students in accessing network-based services not directly provided by Xavier, but required by a class, a community service activity or a student organization. If your access to these network-based services is blocked or limited by problems on your computer, you will be offered use of the University labs as a temporary alternative.
- We will facilitate your use of University-supported applications and utilities, including the following:
- Operating systems
- Mac OS X and higher
- MS Windows XP, Vista & 7
- Productivity software
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Web browsers
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Outlook Web Access
- Virus Protection
- Operating systems
Some technical problems will require a significant amount of resolution time. Students with serious computer issues may be asked to return at a later time or date.
The Dell Student Laptop Program
Students who participated in the Dell laptop purchase program will receive additional technical support from the Connection Center over the four-year warranty coverage of their Dell laptop (sign-ups are no longer being accepted for this program). As participants in the program, students are entitled to the following services:
- Complete software restoration for serious problems.
- Full hardware repair.
- Access to a loaner laptop should their computer require a major repair.
Any service that does not fall in to one of the above categories is not supported by the Connection Center and students will be advised to seek remedy and resolution with their equipment vendor.