Technology for New Employees
Welcome to Xavier University! You will have a session on technology during New Employee Orientation but here is some information to get you started. You and your supervisor should review it together. Note that one of your first tasks should be setting your Xavier password for the first time.
- Your Xavier password:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN):
- Xavier's Virtual Private Network (VPN) makes it possible for you to access Xavier's network when off campus.
- Acceptable Use Policy:
- Please leave your computer powered on overnight! We perform periodic overnight remote maintenance on your wired computer. Just lock or log-off and turn off your monitor if you desire. Save your work before you leave for the night, some maintenance REQUIRES A REBOOT of your computer.
- Three wireless services available on campus; XAVIERWIRELESS, XAVIERGUEST, and XMISC. As an employee, please use the XAVIERWIRELESS network as it will give you access equivalent to our wired network. For more detailed information see https://kb.xavier.edu/page.php?id=27918
- User drive (X:) - Used as personal storage drive for all Xavier faculty and staff
- Department drive (R:) - Used for employees within a specific department can create and save documents
- Collaboration drive (Q:) - Used to store documents to be shared across departments.
- Learn more about network drives
- Request network drive creation or access
Microsoft Outlook: Xavier’s Email System
- Access OWA at https://mail.xavier.edu from anywhere
All Xavier issued Faculty/Staff computers have the full version of Microsoft Outlook installed.
The MyXU Portal
- Access the MyXU Portal at http://portal.xavier.edu through June, 2014.
- Xavier offers the opportunity to use Atomic Learning, a video tutorial website, that can be accessed with your Xavier username and password.
- Atomic Learning Login
The Connection Center
- The Connection Center is an integrated service point located near the main entrance of the Conaton Learning Commons (View Map), blending library and help desk services to support the technological and informational needs of the Xavier community - circulation, reference, technical help.
Faculty and Staff have the opportunity to purchase Microsoft Office and the Windows Operating system for home use at a reduced price (currently about $10 each). Microsoft Office is available via download with a site code and a Xavier email address http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx?culture=en-US and the Microsoft Windows Operating System is available at the Conaton Learning Commons Connection Center Desk (View Map). Contact the Connection Center Desk at 745-3881 for more details. One purchase per product and one install per calendar year.
- Access library resources at www.xu.edu/library.
- Top Ten Things Faculty Need to Know About the Library