Technology for New Employees
Welcome to Xavier University! You will have a session on technology during New Employee Orientation but here is some information to get you started. You and your supervisor should review it together. Note that one of your first tasks should be setting your Xavier password for the first time.
- Your Xavier password:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN):
- Xavier's Virtual Private Network (VPN) makes it possible for you to access Xavier's network when off campus.
- Acceptable Use Policy:
- Please leave your computer powered on overnight! We perform periodic overnight remote maintenance on your wired computer. Just lock or log-off and turn off your monitor if you desire. Save your work before you leave for the night, some maintenance REQUIRES A REBOOT of your computer.
- Three wireless services available on campus; XAVIERWIRELESS, XAVIERGUEST, and XMISC. As an employee, please use the XAVIERWIRELESS network as it will give you access equivalent to our wired network. For more detailed information see https://kb.xavier.edu/page.php?id=27918
- User drive (X:) - Used as personal storage drive for all Xavier faculty and staff
- Department drive (R:) - Used for employees within a specific department can create and save documents
- Collaboration drive (Q:) - Used to store documents to be shared across departments.
- Learn more about network drives
- Request network drive creation or access
Certain sensitive internal systems (such as Banner) are restricted from off-campus access, unless special software is used:
- Xavier Virtual PC can either be installed or accessed via web browser on any device. It provides a full-fledged Xavier desktop, including all software included on our standard desktop image. Consult this article for more information.
Microsoft Office 365: Xavier’s Email System
- Access Outlook Web Access at https://office365.xavier.edu from anywhere
All Xavier issued Faculty/Staff computers have the full version of Microsoft Outlook installed.
Office 365 combines web-based versions of Word, Excel and Power Point with OneDrive, which can be used as an alternative to mapped network drives for document sharing/storage.
Communication Channel for the University
- Xavier offers the opportunity to use Atomic Learning, a video tutorial website, that can be accessed with your Xavier username and password.
- Atomic Learning Login
The Connection Center
- The Connection Center is an integrated service point located near the main entrance of the Conaton Learning Commons (View Map), blending library and help desk services to support the technological and informational needs of the Xavier community - circulation, reference, technical help.
Software Purchase Programs
Employees may purchase Microsoft Office and the Windows Operating system for home use at a reduced price. The licensing allows for one product purchase and installation per calendar year. Contact the Connection Center Desk at 745-3881 for more details, or refer to the Technology Services website.
- Access library resources at www.xu.edu/library.
- Top Ten Things Faculty Need to Know About the Library