Majors and Minors
Students majoring in theology are required to:
- Complete 12 courses (36 credit hours) in theology along with the other required liberal arts courses. Theology courses should be taken according to the sequence proposed by the department.
- Theology majors also have 26 hours of free electives which could be used for a second major or specialized area of concentration.
Courses required for the major include:
- THEO 111 (Theological Foundations)
- THEO 209 (Christian Tradition I)
- THEO 210 (Christian Tradition II)
- THEO 251 (Introduction to Hebrew Scriptures)
- THEO 252 (Introduction to Christian Scriptures)
- THEO 290 (Christian Doctrine Today)
- THEO 295 (Senior Seminar: Ideas & Methods)
- THEO 303 (Christian Ethics: Methods & Questions).
- THEO Electives: 3 needed (201:499)
- Non-Christian Religious Traditions Electives: 1 needed
Students minoring in theology are required to complete three courses (9 credit hours) beyond the three theology courses required of all Xavier students.
Courses required for the minor include:
- THEO 209 (Christian Tradition I) or THEO 210 (Christian Tradition II)
- THEO 251 (Introduction to Hebrew Scriptures) or THEO 252 (Introduction to Christian Scriptures), and
- THEO 303 (Christian Ethics).
For more information about the undergraduate major or minor, please contact the undergraduate advisor, Sarah Melcher at firstname.lastname@example.org
Religious Education Minor
The Religious Education Minor is designed to prepare theology majors to meet the Archdiocese of Cincinnati's professional requirements for Catholic High School Religion Teacher Certification.