Admission to MA Theology
We invite applications from students with a bachelor's degree and a solid academic background (cumulative undergraduate GPA of a 2.7 of better). No definite amount of previous study of theology is prerequisite for admission to the program, and students may vary considerably in their preparation. Ordinarily, applicants should have a background in the humanities, but each applicant will be considered individually. Applicants without a sufficient undergraduate background in theology or religious studies are normally required to take THEO 501 Introduction to the Study of Theology as a prerequisite for admission to the M.A. program.
Applications for this program are accepted throughout the year. You may begin the program in the summer, fall, or spring term.
To apply for official acceptance as a degree-seeking student, submit the following application materials to the office of graduate services:
- The graduate application form. You also have the option to apply online.
- $35 application fee
- One official transcript (sent directly from the college/university to graduate services) of all previous undergraduate and graduate course work.
- Official test scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Call 513 745-3360 or email email@example.com to request a MAT or GRE test booklet. The MAT is offered here at Xavier. For information about registering for the MAT, please call 513 745-3531. If you have previously taken the GRE and want to have your scores sent to Xavier, please contact GRE at 1 888 GRE-SCORE.
- A statement of reasons and goals for enrolling in this program (1,000-2,000 words)
- Two letters of recommendation (one which addresses your academic or professional abilities, one which addresses your personal character and suitability for graduate study in theology).
Once your file is complete, you will be contacted for an interview with either the graduate student advisor or the department chair. The interview will be a discussion of your background and preparation for the graduate study of theology. It is also an opportunity to address any questions which you might have about the program.
Applications are processed immediately upon receiving all of the necessary materials, and you will be notified of your status as soon as possible. The Admission Committee considers all of the information contained in the admission application, including prior grades, test scores, and evidence of potential for success in graduate study.
For further information about the M.A. in theology, including an application, please complete the web inquiry form. Questions regarding the application process may be e-mailed directly to the office of graduate services at firstname.lastname@example.org.