Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that due to the Xavier University Academic Calendar, intern housing dates are limited to May 17*, 2015(move-in begins at 5pm) through August 8, 2015 (move-out must be completed by 10am) .
*Some very limited housing may become available for the week May 10-16
Applying to Live at Xavier
- When is summer intern housing available at Xavier University?
- When will I be able to apply for housing?
- Is my deposit refundable?
- Do I get my deposit refunded at the end of the summer?
- Can I make an apartment-mate request? How do I make that request?
- When am I notified about where I will be living?
- Do I have to sign a lease?
- When do I sign that lease?
- Can I change my move-in and move-out dates?
- Can non-Xavier students stay on campus during the summer?
Living at Xavier
- When can I move in?
- Is housing based on a first-come-first served basis?
- Are the apartments cleaned? Are vacuums available to be borrowed?
- Are linens provided?
- Is parking available outside of each unit, and do I need to purchase a parking permit?
- Are any campus buildings/activities available for me to use, such as the gym or student center?
- Do I need a car to get to my internship?
- Is there public transportation between Xavier and Downtown?
- Are the names of my apartment-mates provided before I move in?
- Are there kitchen utensils provided with the apartments?
- What is there to do around Xavier?s Campus? What is there to do in Cincinnati?
- What do most people do on the weekends?
- What should I bring with me to campus?
- Who do I contact in case of an emergency while I am on campus?
- Are there medical facilities near Xavier in case I experience an illness or medical emergency?
- Will I have a mailing address while I live at Xavier?
- Is wireless internet available?
- Do I get cable tv in my apartment?
- Are the apartments furnished?
- How do I get to Xavier University?
- Are there laundry facilities in each of the apartment buildings? How do I pay for laundry?
- Are guests allowed to visit me?
- Can I have pets in my apartment?
- How old do I have to be to live at Xavier for the summer?
- Can I decorate my apartment?
- Are there behavioral expectations for me while I live at Xavier?
- When do I have to move out?
- What if my internship runs longer than housing is provided at Xavier?
Paying to Live at Xavier
1. When is summer intern housing available at Xavier University?
Housing is available starting May 17, 2015 at 5:00pm and ending August 8, 2015 at 10:00am.
2. When will I be able to apply for housing?
All intern housing applications will be completed online, Registration will begin mid-March 2015 (exact date tba). The application process collects information about each intern, desired move-in and move-out dates, the intern's top three housing preferences and requires a $250 deposit to be paid by Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
A $250 deposit must be submitted at the time of application for housing. This deposit confirms your intention to stay in Xavier's Summer Intern Housing during the summer of 2015. The deposit is not refundable under any circumstances-- it will be applied toward your rent. If, after you have paid your deposit, you make other housing arrangements, the deposit will not be refunded.
The $250 deposit will be applied to your rent payments. The deposit is NOT a security deposit and therefore will not be returned at the conclusion of the summer.
After your registration is received, you will receive instructions on how to access the Summer Intern Portal. Once it is confirmed that your deposit has been paid, you will be able to utilize the portal to complete your profile. You will also be able to view the profiles of other registered interns, and can match up with each other an request to become apartment-mates.
Apartment-mate requests will be accommodated if the following conditions are met:
- Apartment-mates must request one another as apartment-mates.
- Apartment-mates must be the same gender.
- Apartment-mates must have the same housing preferences as listed on the online housing application.
- All Apartment-mates sharing an apartment must have move-in dates within 2 rental weeks of each other AND move-out dates within 2 rental weeks of each other. For a fuller explanation of the two rental week rule, click HERE
- All apartment-mate requests must be received by April 22, 2015. We cannot guarantee to honor apartment-mate requests received past that date.
If no apartment-mate request is received, apartment-mates will be assigned randomly. An attempt is made to place interns from the same or similar companies together but this cannot be guaranteed
You will be notified of your housing assignment no later than the first week of May (or one week before move-in if you register after May 1). All interns will receive this information via the Intern Portal. An email reminding you to check the portal will be sent to the email address provided on the application. The information on the portal is extremely important and will provide critical information to your time living at Xavier.
Yes. You are required to sign a lease in order to live at Xavier University. Leases must be signed no later than 5 business days prior to your move-in date. Failure to sign your lease within the allotted time may result in cancellation of your housing. A blank copy of that lease may be found here. Link will be enabled when lease verbiage is finalized (prior to March 15, 2015.)
You will sign your lease no later than 5 days prior to your move-in date, via the Summer Intern Portal.
Move-in and move-out dates may be changed up to the point that you sign your lease agreement. You can change your dates by accessing the Intern Portal and editing your account. However, once your lease has been signed, no changes or refunds of deposits or rental payments will be permitted. Additional fees and changes in rent payments may apply. Please note that if you your date-change puts you outside of your apartment-mate group's 2 week move-in or move-out rental block, you will be removed from your apartment-mate group, and your housing may be reassigned.
Certainly! Each summer, hundreds of students from all across the U.S. (and even some from outside the U.S.) who have summer internships in the Cincinnati area call Xavier University home.
Living at Xavier
Interns can move in to Xavier housing no sooner than 5:00pm on May 17, 2015. Interns should check their housing confirmations for their specific move-in times and locations. These confirmations will be emailed the first week of May.
Housing assignments are based on a variety of factors, including the order in which registrations are received. It is highly suggested that you apply well in advance. Living space is limited and it is likely that certain types of housing, if not all housing will be completely reserved. Waiting until the last minute will greatly limit your chance of getting one of your top choices and possibly of getting housing at all. Please note that the VIP Experience housing options (University, 1019 Dana, and Manor House apartments) are usually the first to fill up.
Apartments will be cleaned before interns arrive. The University will not clean your apartment during the summer.
- Exception: Interns living in Buenger Hall will have their bathrooms cleaned by XU custodial staff once per week! Don't wanna scrub your toilet or tub? Buenger Hall's for you!
Interns are expected to keep the apartments clean on their own using their own cleaning materials and equipment. Common spaces such as hallways, entryways and lounges within the apartment buildings are cleaned by Xavier University staff. We do not provide vacuums.
No, you must provide your own linens.
Parking is available on Xavier's Campus. Usually, parking is available in close proximity to your apartment. The parking lots for the Commons, Village and Buenger are immdeiately adjacent to these buildings. Parking for Manor House and University Aptartments is approximately 1 1/2 blocks away. Parking for 1019 Dana is in the South lot, across the street and about 1/2 block from the building.
A parking permit is required at all times -- please register for your permit via the Intern Portal. There is no charge for this permit. It will be provided to you at the time of move-in. The parking permit must be displayed on your dashboard at all times throughout the summer.
Several campus facilities are available for the use of interns living at Xavier for the summer, including the Gallagher Student Center and the MacDonald Library. Interns can also purchase a membership to use the swimming pool and sports equipment in the O'Connor Sports Center .
The answer to this question depends on where you will be interning. Some internship sites can be accessed using public transportation. Many people also decide to carpool once they meet other people who are interning at the same location.
Please go to Metro's website to find out more about Cincinnati's public transportation system.
Each intern has the opportunity to complete a profile and provide contact information to apartment-mates via the Summer Intern Portal. Once housing assignments have been made, you can see the names of your apartment-mates on the portal. You will only have their contact information if they included it in their profile.
No kitchen utensils are provided in any of the apartments. Most interns bring the basic kitchen utensils needed. Many also wait until they meet their roommates and then make a trip to a place like Target or Wal-Mart to purchase things like kitchen utensils, trash cans, lamps, etc..
Start with this Greater Cincinnati Area Bucket List!
Interns do a variety of things on the weekends. Many stay at Xavier and experience the city with the friends they have made in the apartments and at their internships. Some interns do go home on the weekends. Xavier's Summer Intern Housing Facebook page often lists festivals and special events happening in the city.
Please see the housing option descriptions or utilize the Quick View Comparison to see what is provided in each of the apartments. We recommend that you bring or plan to purchase the following types of items:
- Linens (sheets, pillows, comforter, towels, washcloths)
- Disposables (tissues, toilet paper, paper towels)
- Lamps (all apartments have some overhead lighting EXCEPT the Village)
- Kitchen utensils, pots, pans, dishes
- TV (cable service is provided and included in rent)
- coaxial cord to connect television to cable outlet
- Microwave, if not included (Only included in The Commons and Buenger Hall)
- Cleaning supplies, vacuum
- UL Approved Extension cords, surge protectors, power strips
- Internet/Ethernet cable if you chose not to use the wireless network or as a backup
Xavier's Campus Police are available to handle emergencies 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They can be contacted by calling 513-745-1000. Xavier is a very safe campus and its police officers are fully accredited police officers in the state of Ohio. The Xavier Police Non-Emergency number is 513-745-2000.
Yes. Here is a list of Emergency and Urgent Care Centers.
Yes. You will have a mailing address all summer. Mail and packages will be delivered either directly to your apartment building or to the Xavier mail center. The exact address can be found by logging into the Intern Portal. Near the end of the summer, make sure to have your mail, magazines, etc. forwarded to a new address by contacting the U.S Postal Service. Xavier University is not responsible for packages received after interns have moved out. No packages should arrive prior to May 17, 2015 or your move-in date, whichever is later. Any packages received prior to May 17, 2014 will be returned to sender.
Yes. Wireless internet is available in all the apartment buildings and is included in the rent at no additional charge. User names and passwords that are used to access the wireless internet are distributed at the time of move-in. It is available across campus.
Yes. Cable service is provided and is included in the rent at no additional charge. Plan to bring a coaxial cable cord to connect your television to the cable outlet.
All apartments are modestly furnished. For a complete listing of what furnishings are included in each apartment building please see the apartment descriptions or utilize the Quick View Comparison page.
This Travel Planner will get you here by plane, train or automobile!
Yes, there are laundry facilities in each apartment building. All laundry facilities require the use of an X-Cash Card. The X-Cash Card is card that can be reloaded with additional money from a variety of places on campus. Laundry costs $1.25 for a wash and $1.00 for a dry (45 minute cycle).
Guests are allowed provided they are not live-in guests. All interns are expected to adhere to the Xavier University Code of Conduct. Guest polices are included in these polices. All visitors must be approved by all apartment occupants/roommates.
The only pets that are allowed are small fish that are contained in small aquariums or tanks that are 10 gallons or less. ADA Service Animals will be allowed. Animals are not allowed to visit, even during check-in and check-out. Please leave your pets at home.
Interns must be at least 18 years of age by the date they move on to campus.
You may decorate your rooms and apartments in a way that will be pleasing to you, without using paint on walls/ceilings, nails, scotch tape, or other materials that may damage the wall, ceiling, or floor surfaces of any room. Interns will be held responsible for any damage caused in their rooms or apartments and will be billed for repairs. Failure to remove non-University furniture at the end of the summer results in a charge for the removal and disposition of remaining items. More information on pages 79-80 of the Student Handbook. Any damage caused by decorations will result in fines.
Yes. All interns are expected to adhere to the Xavier University Student Code of Conduct which can be found in the Student Handbook.
Due to the start of the school year and the preparations that Xavier must make to all rooms, all interns have to be completely moved out, including all persons and belongings by 10:00Am on August 8, 2015. Failing to do so will result in fines.
Here is a list of extended stay hotels in the area.
Paying to Live at Xavier
Businesses that are paying Xavier to house interns will be invoiced
Interns who are paying rent to Xavier will make a total of 3 payments:
Rental Deposit and Payment Schedule
- $250 non-refundable deposit due when submitting application
- Rent Payment #1 due no later than 5 days prior to your move-in
- Rent Payment #2 due no later than June 27
A non-refundable $250 deposit is required at the time an intern submits his/her application. This deposit will be applied toward Rent Payment #1.
Rent payment #1 covers weekly rental fees calculated from the week of your move-in date through June 27, minus the deposit paid.
Rent payment #2 covers weekly rental fees calculated from June 28 through the the week of your move-out date..
Yes. Rent payments are prorated by week.
- While a typical apartment rents on a monthly basis, we understand that internships do not usually run by an exact calendar month. So, all rental fees will be pro-rated by the week, with each rental week running Sunday through Saturday. Whichever day of the week you move in or out, you will have to pay that entire week's rent.
How Rental Fees are Calculated
Each rental week runs Sunday through Saturday. Whichever day of the week an intern moves in or out, rent is charged for the entire rental week.
|May 17||May 18||May 19||May 20||May 21||May 22||May 23|
|Aug 2||Aug 3||Aug 4||Aug 5||Aug 6||Aug 7||Aug 8|