undergraduate major: Sport Studies
Bachelor of Science in Sport Management or Sport Marketing
Xavier University is committed to a broad-based liberal education in the Jesuit tradition. The Core Curriculum endeavors to realize and embody Xavier's mission and philosophy of education and serves as the educational foundation for all undergraduate students. Beyond the Core Curriculum, Sport Management students must successfully complete 71 semester hours of required courses. Sport Marketing students must complete 77 semester hours. The additional hours required for Sport Marketing majors reflects an emphasis on the sub-disciplines marketing.
Area 1: Management - 12 semester hours
- SPMG 110 - Introduction to Sport Management (3)
- SPMG 322 - Facility & Event Management (3)
- INFO 200 - Management of Information Tech. (3)
- MGMT 300 - Managerial Behavior (3)
Area 2: Societal Ethics - 8 semester hours
- SPMG 195 - History & Philosophy of Sport (3)
- SOCI 232 - Sociology of Sport (3)
- SPMG 410 - Sport Ethics (3)
Area 3: Legal Aspects - 6 semester hours
- SPMG 348 - Legal & Ethical Issues in Sport (3)
- BLAW 300 - Legal Environment (3)
Area 4: Communications - 12 semester hours
- COMM 101 - Oral Communications (3)
- COMM 207 - Interpersonal Communications (3)
- Communication electives - six additional hours from approved communications courses are required for all sport management and sport marketing majors.
Area 5: Marketing - 6 semester hours
- MKTG 300 - Principles of Marketing (3)
- SPMG 310 - Introduction to Sport Marketing (3)
- Sport marketing majors only - take 6 additional semester hours from approved marketing electives.
Area 6: Finance - 3 semester hours
- ACCT 200 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting (3)
Area 7: Economics - 6 semester hours
- ECON 200 - Microeconomics Principles (3)
- ECON 201 - Macroeconomics Principles (3)
Area 8: Sport Management Electives - 9 semester hours
- Sport management and sport marketing majors - nine semester hours are required from approved sport and exercise science electives. Examples include PSYC 477 Sport Psychology, SPMG 250 Professional Development in Sport Management, SPMG 280 Contemporary Issues in Coaching, FINC 300 or other classes as approved by the student’s advisor.
Area 9: Field Experience - 9 semester hours
- SPMG 495 - Internship in Sport Management\Marketing (9)