When living with another person each person has rights and responsibilities for making the roommate relationship work. Communication is of critical importance.
We suggest that before you decide to live with someone and while you are living with someone you discuss the following:
- Talk to your potential roommates about what the atmosphere of the house/apartment are going to be like? Also be sure to ask about significant others staying over-what is acceptable?
- How are bills going to be shared-example: whose name will appear on the electric bill, cable bill etc.? How will this person be paid/reimbursed for the utilities?
- Will food be shared?
- How will chores be split?
- Who will purchase general items for the house (dish soap, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.)?
- Who will bring what items (dishes, furniture, kitchen utensils, shower curtains, etc.)
- For an off campus roommate agreement, go to the Commuter Services website (www.xavier.edu/commuter).