FAQs About Academics Overall



Q. How do I register each semester? 

A. Make an appointment to meet with your academic advisor to select, discuss and approve courses for the current semester. Call the advisor's office or use the sign-up sheets available in many advisor's offices or posted on their doors.

Search the online "Schedule of Classes" and obtain an official Registration Form in the Registrar's Office.  You may also use the online Class Schedule Search and obtain the form from the Registrar's website. Take the registration form when you go to see your academic advisor; advisors will review course selections, sign the registration form and retain the gold copy. To determine the time the registrar will process your registration form, check your registration appointment time on the Self-Service Access channel on the Student Hub and follow the menu options. Registration can be done either in person or online. Students cannot register before their designated time slot.

Q. What are the undergraduate majors?

A. For a full list of majors and minors offered at Xavier University, click here.

Q. What if I want to change my major?

A. If you want to change majors, contact your academic advisor. Depending on the college you want to change into, different steps need to be taken. Your academic advisor’s information can be found through the Student Hub.

  1. Click on Self-Service box
  2. Log in to the Xavier Central Authentication Service (CAS)
  3. Click on Student Services
  4. Click on Student Records
  5. Click on View Student/Advisor Information

To see the academic advising’s website, click here.

Q. How difficult is it to switch majors?

A. Generally, it is not difficult at all to switch majors. Contact your academic advisor to initiate the change of major process. For certain programs, including Nursing and Occupational Therapy, other requirements exist.

Q. How long can a student remain undecided and not declare a major?

A. A student at Xavier University is never required to declare a major, but it is recommended to be declared at least by the second semester during your sophomore year, if not earlier. A student must declare a major to graduate with a degree.

Q. Is it important to have a minor? How many hours are required to minor in a particular subject?

A. Minors are good to have if they enhance your major, i.e. majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish. Most minors need 18 to 24 hours for completion. For a list of minors available at Xavier University, click here.


Q. If a freshman is not in the Honors Program during the Fall semester how does one get into it in the Spring semester?

A. To become a part of an Honors Program, contact the Honors Program Advisor to see if you meet the academic requirements. The programs offered and their directors are as followed:

  • Dr. Shannon Byrne: Honors Bachelor of Arts Program Director
  • Dr. Alexandra Korros: University Scholars Program Director
  • Dr E. Paul Colella: Philosophy, Politics, and Public Program Director

For more information or the application to these programs, click here.

Q. Can I see my child's grades?

A. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education, financial, and academic records. An Authorization form is available to families of first year students for those who would like to see their child's grades. This form allows our office to send midterm grades to the student's home address for the fall and spring semester of freshman year. For more information on FERPA, click here.

Q. Is the Business College accredited?

A. Yes, the Williams College of Business is accredited through AACSB International (American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business). For more information on the Williams College of Business, click here.

Q. What should my child do if they are on Academic Warning or Academic Probation?

A. Being placed on Academic Warning or Academic Probation is a signal that there is a problem that should be addressed.  It does not mean that you cannot be a successful student, but it does mean that you may want to take a step back and assess your situation to identify those factors that may be affecting you academically.  A great place to start is with your Academic Advisor.  Your Advisor can assist you to design a plan to get on track to Good Academic Standing.  This plan may include lightening your academic workload, brushing up on your study skills or may even include reconsidering your choice of major.  Other campus resources that you may want to consult with include: Learning Assistance Center and Retention Services.