The Recreational Sports Department is committed to the creation of an Outdoor Adventure Education program. This program is to be designed to provide an outdoor recreational experience for students, including: camping, rafting, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, climbing, and other outdoor pursuits. Here are a few examples of activities and plans for this new program:
- Large trips - ex. White-water rafting in West Virginia, hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail, camping at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, using the Ohio River for trips
- Small local trips - ex. East Fork Lake in Clermont County, the Little Miami River, the Big Miami River
- On-Campus demos - ex. Paddle techniques using the OSC pool, Boat swamping using the OSC pool, class sessions on hiking, camping, paddling, fire-building, etc.
- Off-campus collaborations - creating organized usage of local climbing walls, working with local Outdoor vendors to host demos or equipment displays, collaboration with local bicycle shops
- Equipment Rental - All equipment would have the ability to be rented by the Xavier community. These items will be priced by daily, weekend, and week price points.
- Academics - in offering course credit for expended trips
- Development of "Team Building" exercises and challenges