Outdoor Adventure Education
The Recreational Sports Department is committed to the creation of an Outdoor Adventure Education program. This program is to be designed to provide an outdoor recreational experience for students, including: camping, rafting, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, climbing, and other outdoor pursuits. Here are a few examples of activities and plans for this new program:
- Large trips - ex. White-water rafting in West Virginia, hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail, camping at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, using the Ohio River for trips
- Small local trips - ex. East Fork Lake in Clermont County, the Little Miami River, the Big Miami River
- On-Campus demos - ex. Paddle techniques using the OSC pool, Boat swamping using the OSC pool, class sessions on hiking, camping, paddling, fire-building, etc.
- Off-campus collaborations - creating organized usage of local climbing walls, working with local Outdoor vendors to host demos or equipment displays, collaboration with local bicycle shops
- Equipment Rental - All equipment would have the ability to be rented by the Xavier community. These items will be priced by daily, weekend, and week price points.
- Academics - in offering course credit for expended trips
- Development of "Team Building" exercises and challenges