May 9 - July 1, 2016
Ohio State Capitol
Students participating in the State Politics Internship program serve an eight week, full-time (35 hours/week) unpaid internship in the state capital, working for a member of the state legislature, a state legislative committee or leadership office, an executive agency, political party, interest group, or non-profit organization.
Student placements are made based on students’ strengths and interests after consultation with Xavier Faculty and local alumni advisors working in the state capital.
The Academic Program
All State Politics Interns take POLI 240: State and Local Politics (3-credits). In this course, students learn about the legislative process, the state Constitution and state and local political institutions. Students also engage in a combination of in-class and online learning activities, including on-site lectures, small group discussions, field trips, and one-on-one interviews.
Students also take part in one or more shadowing days which allow them to engage personally with political professionals while closely observing state politics from a variety of perspectives.
Internship housing is available just blocks from the Capitol at the Mt. Carmel College of Nursing. The residence halls are 4-person, furnished suites with kitchens at a rate of approximately $1,000 over the course of the 8-week internship. Note that full housing costs must be paid in advance of move-in.
Students who live in the Columbus area may choose to commute so long as the commute will not prevent them from meeting their internship and academic responsibilities.
Internship placements are based on individual students' strengths and interests. Past placements have included:
- Governmental Policy Group (GPG)
- Cincinnati Enquirer State Capitol office
- Hannah News Service
- The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission
- The Ohio Senate Democratic Caucus
- The Ohio House Minority Whip
- Ohio Sen. Sen. Lou Gentile (D)
- Ohio Sen. Cecil Thomas (D)
- Ohio Sen. Gayle Manning (R)
- Ohio Rep. Michael Henne (R)
- Ohio Rep. Anne Gonzales (R)
- Ohio Rep. Michael Stinziano (D)
- Ohio Rep. Debbie Phillips (D)
- Ohio Rep. Anthony DeVitis (R)
- Ohio Rep. Michael Ashford (D)
- Ohio Rep. Christie Bryant Kuhns (D)
- Ohio Rep. Cheryl Grossman (R)
- Ohio Rep. Wes Retherford (R)
Or for more information, contact:
Dr. Mack Mariani, Director
State Politics Internship Program
Xavier University Department of Political Science
3800 Victory Parkway Cincinnati Ohio 45207
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 513-508-6849