Procedure for Requesting Recommendation Letters
When you request a letter of recommendation for graduate school, or summer research programs, or other fellowships, we suggest that you follow these guidelines.
- Provide the professor with your CV (Curriculum Vitae, i.e., resume) which includes such things as scholarships, honors, awards, accomplishments, and extracurricular activities, both academic and non-academic.
- Provide the professor with a list of your physics and math courses and grades and indicate the classes you took from that professor.
- Provide your overall G.P.A. and your physics G.P.A.
- You will probably have to write a personal statement about why you are applying for a particular program. Please include a copy of this statement when you provide the other materials.
- Provide all forms that are to be completed by the professor. Be sure to sign any waivers if you so choose.
- Provide the deadlines for each of the schools, programs, etc.
- Provide a stamped and addressed envelope for each recommendation that you are requesting, if the submission is not to be made electronically. You can obtain department envelopes in the main office.