An Exciting Year for the SGA
Craig Scanlon, Association President of Student Government Association
The Student Government Association (SGA) is happy to report the 2008-2009 academic year was full of successful programs and exciting events. The SGA is comprised of three unique organizations: the Executives, the Student Senate and the Student Activities Council. Working together with the Xavier community, we strive to sustain and build a positive campus culture for all Xavier students. Thanks to an operating budget that’s roughly one percent of student tuition dollars, we were able to fund a variety of beneficial programs.
As president of the SGA, I’m especially proud of what we accomplished this year with the help from the SGA branches and the Xavier community.
- Club Day on the Mall: The event was led by our legislative president, M. Carter Johnson, with the assistance from the Club Relations Committee. It was an exciting day, as 100 campus clubs set up creative displays to attract new student members.
- 19th annual Fenwick Open Charity Golf Outing: The 35-team golf scramble was held in September, and raised $5,000 for the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless and $500 for the student Study Abroad Award.
- First Friday shuttle: The shuttle provided students with free transportation every first Friday of the month to Newport on the Levee.
- Readership program expansion: The committee worked with USA Today to expanded newspaper delivery to all residence halls on campus.
- O’Connor Sports Center: Improvements in services were made, including expanding the facility’s operating hours to an additional 15 hours per week, and the addition of two fitness trainers.
- Comprehensive shuttle schedule: The committee created a consolidated, easy-to-read shuttle schedule, which was distributed via the SGA newsletter.
- All Card off-campus vendors expansion: Working with Auxiliary Services, we obtained additional off-campus All Card vendors, including Stones Lanes, Skyline Chili, CiCi’s Pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings and T.G.I. Fridays.
- SGA pancake breakfast: In November, the committee set up on the Greenspace to treat Xavier students to free pancakes and hot chocolate.
- Textbook exchange program: With the help of a new message board outside the SGA office, students could post want ads for textbooks. It was up prior to exam week and two weeks into the first semester.
- Pre-game madness basketball events: The pre-game events were held before every home game, providing students with food, the scouting report, and fun giveaways.
The Student Senate
The Student Senate did a great job working with administrators on various university policies, as well as allocating funds to our over 100 clubs on campus.
- College Cookout for a Cause: The cookout was a collaboration with University of Cincinnati, which handed out over 400 free lunches.
- “Are You in Touch with Politics?” competition
- Campus-wide rummage sale: The sale was co-sponsored with Voices of Solidarity and the Student Organization of Latinos.
- Elections code revisions: The Senate did a great job of revising and updating every chapter of our Elections Code.
- Holiday airport shuttle: This service provided students with free transportation to the airport for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
- Study-abroad fair: The Senate was behind the planning and organization of this well-attended information fair.
Student Activities Council (SAC)
The SAC planned over forty events this year, ranging from monthly late night snacks to a large-scale concert in the Cintas Center.
- Extreme Makeover: XU Edition
- Counting Crows and Maroon 5 concert
- The Great Finals Supply Giveaway
- Pumpkin Patch Extravaganza
- Cake decorating
- Crosstown viewing party
- Cincinnati Night
- Martin Luther King Poetry Slam
- Mardi Gras party
- Ben Folds concert
- Mr. Muskie
- Boat Dance
- Jack Mannequin and Matt Nathanson concert
- Various trips: including to the Cincinnati Zoo, the Nutcracker Ballet, Oktoberfest, WEBN Fireworks, Christmas shopping, King’s Island Halloween Haunt, China Now! exhibit at the Cincinnati Art Museum