Winter is the time for students to begin thinking about what their summer work plans. Internships are a great way to make the most of summer by allowing students to get meaningful, marketable work experience.
The Career Services Center and the Peace and Justice Programs would like to share the following helpful information about internships.
Why are internships important? They:
- Give students the opportunity to try out a job to learn what they like and what they don’t.
- Enhance a student’s overall résumé by providing real-world experience.
- Are valued by potential employers.
- Allow students to begin developing a network of professional connections.
- Provide the opportunity to turn an internship into a full-time job.
The following organizations offer spring and summer internships:
To find out about additional opportunities, visit the e-recruiting portion of the Career Services Center web site.
Peace and Justice Service Internships
Xavier's Peace and Justice Programs also facilitates service internships. Now in its 16th year, the Summer Service Internship Program provides Xavier students the opportunity to interact in their community over the summer by working in a full-time, paid internship with a non-profit organization. The deadline to apply is Friday, Jan. 22.
A total of 20 students are selected. Interns live together on-campus (free of charge) and become active members in the Cincinnati community, using their talents to address the city's social needs.
Additionally, the internship is designed to encourage service learning by building a community of service interns on campus who can share insights, reflect on their experiences and address issues affecting society. Weekly reflection sessions allow students to exchange experiences, pose questions and provide support for one another. Students also read articles and keep a journal throughout the internship to help them gain a broader understanding of the impact of their work.
Send applications to:
Peace & Justice Programs - ML 2910
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45207-2910
How parents can help:
- Encourage your student to learn more by visiting one of the following offices:
- Career Services Center, Gallagher 310 (for College of Arts and Sciences students, as well as those in the College of Social Sciences, Health, and Education)
- Williams College of Business Students: Undergraduate Programs Office, 2nd Floor, Hailstones Hall
- Refer your student to the newly updated internships website: www.xavier.edu/internships
- Recommend that your student call, email, or stop by during their winter break to work on applying now, as it can take three to six months to find an internship in a good economy.
- Lastly, it is helpful for you to know and review with your student the Internship Planning Guide and the Internship Search Checklist.