Xavier president announces Tsunami Relief Campaign
Xavier University, Northern Kentucky University and the University of Cincinnati coordinate relief efforts for those affected by natural disaster
01/13/05As part of a coordinated effort with the University of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky University, Xavier has created the XU Tsunami Relief Campaign to provide immediate financial relief to tsunami victims in Africa and Asia. One hundred percent of funds raised through the Xavier campaign, which runs Jan. 13-Feb. 9, goes to relief agencies approved by the U.S. government or to the Jesuit Refugee Service.
- At 12:15 on Wednesday, Jan. 26—one month after the tsunami—one minute of silence to remember the victims was honored, while bells on each campus chimed 12 times.
- An interfaith memorial service took place at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 26, at Xavier's Clocktower lounge. All are welcome to attend.
- International student services will be selling cakes, cookies and pastries donated by students, staff and teachers on Monday, Jan. 31st. Those interested in participating can sign up at the Romero International Center. Volunteers are also needed to sell the items at the Gallagher Students Center, Alter Hall and Hailstones Hall from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and from 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Those wishing to submit a financial contribution may submit checks, made payable to XU Tsunami Relief Fund, to:
XU Tsunami Relief Fund
c/o Office of the Comptroller
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, Ohio 45207-4531
You may drop off your donation in a sealed envelope marked XU Tsunami Relief Fund at one of the following locations:
- Office of the bursar, 135 Alter Hall, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday; after hours, use the mail slot in the office door. Envelopes are available on the door.
- Office of the comptroller, 102 Schmidt Hall, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Office of Ignatian Programs, 121 Alter Hall.
- Office of International Student Services/Romero International Center, 230 Gallagher Student Center.
In addition to individual donations, Xavier students are being asked to participate in a “dollar war” competition in the residence halls. Prizes are awarded to the hall that collects the most money. The student government association is sponsoring the competition, which begins Wednesday, Jan. 19 and runs through Friday, Jan. 28.
Thanks in advance for your generosity and support for this project. No donation is too small. On behalf of University President Michael J. Graham, S.J., and members of the committee, everyone on campus in encouraged to join with colleagues at UC and NKU and participate in some way.