The jazz minor is a practical, creative and comprehensive concentration of courses which gives students significant training and exposure in theory, history and performance. Students who complete the entire minor will be well qualified to excel in jazz studies at an advanced level; others who choose to pursue a less concentrated path will enjoy a deeper awareness of the jazz idiom. Courses in jazz studies include: Jazz: American Creative Music, Basic Jazz Preparation, Techniques of Jazz Writing and Arranging, Techniques of Jazz Improvisation, Jazz Improvisational Workshop and Jazz Ensemble.
18 credit hours are required, as follows:
Music Courses, 12 credit hours:
- MUSC 101 - Basic Jazz Preparation (2)
- MUSC 114 - Jazz: American Creative Music (3)
- MUSC 206 - Techniques of Jazz Improvisation (2)
- MUSC 298 - Private Lesson: Jazz Guitar/Vo (1)
- MUSC 306 - Tech Jazz Writing and Arranging (2)
- MUSC 307 - Jazz Improvisation Workshop (2)
Jazz Ensemble, 3 credit hours:
- MUSC 271 - Jazz Ensemble
Applied Music, 3 credit hours:
- MUSC 278-299
- Attendance at a minimum of 20 recitals.
- A 2.000 cumulative average must be attained in these courses.