You do not have to be a music major to participate in one of our ensembles! In addition to annual tours, Xavier's ensembles frequently perform off-campus at prominent regional venues. Selected highlights from the past five years include the following:
- Symphonic Winds & Chamber Orchestra European Tour - Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague (Summer 2014)
- World Choir Games at Duke Energy Convention Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Aronoff Center for the Arts, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio
- St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption Concert Series, Covington, KY
- St. Xavier Church, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Christ Church Cathedral, Cincinnati, Ohio
- St. Xavier High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Mount Healthy High School, Mount Healthy, Ohio
- Joint concerts with the College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati
- Union Terminal Museum Organ Series, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Princeton High School, Cincinnati, Ohio
- St. Joseph School, Kentucky
- Bi-annual presentation of a musical production, in conjunction with the Theatre program
These programs and performances combine to reach approximately 10,000 people a year and demonstrate the commitment the department has made to the greater tri-state area. Xavier Music enriches our regional cultural world and is a major contributor to the University's strong tradition of service to others.
Public performance options for music majors abound:
- More than 60 concerts annually during the fall and spring semesters provide music students with hands-on options to hone and practice their talents. New works by student and faculty composers are often performed.
- Pep Band participation puts students on-screen during nationally televised basketball games for Xavier's top-ranked Muskies.
- Opportunities for instrumentalists are available with the Symphonic Winds, Jazz Ensemble and Chamber Orchestra.
- Opportunities to sing are available with the Concert Choir, Women's Chorus, Men's Chorus and Edgecliff Vocal Ensemble. All students perform as soloists in recitals each semester culminating in a senior recital in their final semester of study.
- The Xavier music experience also emphasizes regular student performance in small chamber ensembles. These include brass and woodwind quintets, string quartets, mixed instrumental/vocal chamber groups, percussion ensemble, piano ensemble and guitar ensemble.