Welcome to Xavier University Music! Please read the following page carefully for application requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Arts in Sacred Music, and Bachelor of Science in Music Education degree programs.
Prospective music majors must complete a single application that serves both as your application to Xavier University and the Music program.
Step 2: Complete online music portfolio
The online University application includes sections where you will upload three additional documents to your music portfolio:
- a letter of recommendation from a music teacher
- a résumé of the student's musical experiences
- excerpts from two performances (each no longer than 2 minutes) in contrasting style demonstrating the student's performance capabilities. It is very important that the audio quality is excellent on the recordings.
Step 3: Upon acceptance by the university, the online music portfolio of the admitted student is reviewed by the full-time members of the music faculty. The faculty will recommend either:
- That the student is permitted to major in music based upon the strength of their application materials and will be encouraged to audition for a music scholarship; or,
- The student is permitted to minor in music. The department will outline a series of courses that the student should take their first year at Xavier to help them discern whether a major in music is possible given their level of training and knowledge.
Musical background and proficiency in an applied instrument/voice will determine placement within the department. Progress during the freshman and sophomore years will be closely evaluated.
If you wish to schedule an audition at Xavier, please click on the desired page below. Please make sure to read all admissions information and requirements prior to filling out an audition form.
Only Music majors can apply
Anyone can apply - regardless of major