Sustainability and Mission
Contributing to sustainability at Xavier and beyond
The Center for Mission and Identity and the Office of Sustainability hosted a 3-part program on sustainability (food, consumption, energy) in January 2013 facilitated by XU Sustainability Coordinator Ann Dougherty P.E. In total, the program has developed over 50 'Xavier Sustainability Ambassadors.'
As a Jesuit Catholic University, it is Xavier's responsibility to undertake issues
which have an impact not only on our campus, but on all of today's society.
Michael J. Graham, SJ
Time vs Stuff- An excerpt from 'The Story of Stuff' by Annie Leonard
Sustainability and Mission: Stuff
Jesuit Response to Environmental and Ecological Challenges - a history by EcoJesuits.com
Healing a Broken World - Jesuit Task Force on Ecology, 2011
Note from Superior General Adolfo Nicolas, SJ
to the Society regarding the commitment to nature and the environment, 2011
General Congregation 35, Decree 3, IV - Reconciliation with Creation, 2008
Ignatian Spirituality & Sustainability by Annette Marksberry, 2011.
- 2013 Care for Creation Lenten Calendar
- The Place of Sustainability and the Environment within Roman Catholic Thought a speech by Michael J. Graham, S.J., President of Xavier University, given on Sustainability Day, Nov. 7, 2011.
- Sustainability and Catholic Higher Education: A Toolkit for Mission Integration published by eight national Catholic organizations, including the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities.
- The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Sustainability and the Jesuit Mission July 2012 by Kathleen R. Smythe, Ph.D.
- Adapted from a presentation made to AJCU Leadership Seminar, 20 June 2011.
- See 2-minute video clips on Sustainability issues
- Sustainability Committee Background ACUPCC
In the News