Mission and Identity Discernment Group Trip
June 24 - July 1, 2008
TUESDAY, JUNE 24
Depart: Cincinnati, 8:50 a.m.
Arrive: L.A., 10:27 a.m.
- Noon Lunch at President's Dining Room, University Hall, Loyola Marymount University; Fr Bob Lawton, S.J. will be our host. Bob Carr, S.J. (Vice President for Mission & Ministry at LMU) will also join us for lunch.
Brief tour of campus
Contact: Eddie Siebert, S.J.
- 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. Loyola Production, 6309 West Slawson Ave; Culver City, CA 90230
- Bus tour of Sunset Blvd./Hollywood
- 3:15 - 5:00 p.m. Blessed Sacrament Parish; 6657 Sunset Blvd.
- Dinner (along the way OR at Miyako Hotel OR nearby restaurant)
- Check-in: Miyako Hotel; 328 East 1st Street; Los Angeles, California
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25
- 10:00 a.m. Leave Miyako Hotel
Dolores Mission Church; 171 S. Gless Street; Meet with staff members
Contact: Vince Olea
Pastor: Scott Santarosa, S.J.
- Noon Lunch at Homegirl Café
Visit Homeboy Industries
Contact: Greg Boyle, S.J., Founder/Executive Director
Mark Torres, S.J.
Visit Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (completed in 2002)
(a pilgrimage site for the Hispanic Community)
6:00/6:30 Dinner on Olvera Street (birthplace of the city of Los Angeles), El Paseo Restaurant
(Those who supported our visit will be invited.)
THURSDAY, JUNE 26
- Leave Miyako Hotel at 5:45 a.m.
Depart: L.A., 8:20 a.m. (Arrive in Atlanta 3:52 p.m.)
Arrive: Philadelphia, 8:01 p.m. (Depart from Atlanta 5:35 p.m.)
- 9:30 p.m. Light supper, SJU
Housing: We will stay in student apartments in the newest residence, Borgia Hall at St. Joseph's
University. Everyone will have a private room, bathrooms will be shared. Seven apartments have been reserved: 3 for women; 4 for men. (Linens/towels will be provided.)
During our stay, vans and van drivers are being provided for our use by the St. Joseph University Office of Mission.
Contact: Dan Joyce, S.J., Office of Mission, St. Joseph's University
FRIDAY, JUNE 27
10:00 am; Entire day at Hopeworks (Camden, NJ)
Contact: Jeff Putthoff, S.J.
- 3:30 p.m.; Group meeting before dinner to reflect and share observation on L.A. experience (and Hopeworks) Loyola Carriage House
- 5:00 p.m. Reception and Dinner with the Jesuit Community, St. Joseph's University; Loyola Center
SATURDAY, JUNE 28
- 8:45 a.m. leave Borgia Hall
- 9:00 a.m. meet with Sister Helen Cole. S.S.J., Director of Guadalupe Family Services
- Tour of Camden
- 5:00 p.m. Tour of Philadelphia/Society Hill
6:00 p.m. Tour and presentation at Old St. Joseph's
"300 Years of Ignatian Ministries in the Philadelphia Metro Area"
- 7:00 p.m. Dinner in the historic district
SUNDAY, JUNE 29
- 9:00 a.m. Breakfast and conversation with SJU people about collaboration in Camden
- 10:45 a.m. Depart for Camden
11:30 a.m. Mass with the Hispanic Community at Holy Name Parish (Camden)
Pastor: Bill Kelley, S.J.
Associate: Tom Gavin, S.J.
- 1:00 p.m. Informal lunch/meeting with parish staff/parishioners after Mass.
3:00 p.m. Group Meeting (Loyola Carriage House)
Jeff Putthoff, S.J. will share comments on Jesuit/Ignatian Spirituality and his work
Group reflection/comments/observations on experience of the trip.
- 5:00 p.m. free evening
MONDAY, JUNE 30
9:00 a.m. Depart for Camden
We will spend the day at St. Luke's Medical Services and the Camden Center for Law & Social Justice. These two centers are part of JUST (Jesuit Urban Service Team).
Our group will divide in half and spend half the day in each area.
Contact: Kevin Connor
St. Luke Medical Services
Contact: Jeff DeCristofaro
Camden Center for Law & Social Justice
- 6:30 p.m. Reception
7:00 p.m. Closing Dinner: The Haub Executive Center, in McShain Hall; St. Joseph's University
We will invite those individuals who have assisted/participated in our visit to the Philadelphia/Camden area to share in this dinner.
TUESDAY, JULY 1
- 7:30 a.m. leave Borgia Hall (SJU)
Depart: Philadelphia, 10:25 a.m.
Arrive: Cincinnati, 12:20 p.m.