The Xavier Way
Vision: Xavier men and women become people of learning and reflection, integrity and achievement, in solidarity for and with others.
Mission: Xavier is a Jesuit Catholic university rooted in the liberal arts tradition. Our mission is to educate each student intellectually, morally, and spiritually. We create learning opportunities through rigorous academic and professional programs integrated with co-curricular engagement. In an inclusive environment of open and free inquiry, we prepare students for a world that is diverse, complex and increasingly interdependent. Driven by our commitment to the common good and to the education of the whole person, the Xavier community challenges and supports students as they cultivate lives of reflection, compassion and informed action.
Values: Magis · Reflection · Discernment · Cura Personalis · Solidarity and Kinship · Service Rooted in Justice & Love
Our Commitment to Learning:
- Encourage and support robust research, scholarship and creative activity to nourish and invigorate teaching and learning.
- Strengthen the ability of our faculty to grow as rigorous, creative and imaginative teachers.
- Support each student in demonstrating intellectual mastery through capstone projects appropriate to their academic disciplines.
- Renew curricula, academic programs and other student learning opportunities in light of our mission, vision and values.
- Utilize current and emerging technologies to support innovative teaching and learning.
- Provide comprehensive, responsive and accessible systems that support student learning and development.
- Intentionally integrate personal, academic and career advising to assist each student to create, monitor and modify a customized learning plan.
- Shape a campus environment and culture that encourages opportunities for reflection and to develop the habit of discernment.
- Assure rigorous standards, excellent programs and significant learning experiences that reflect the university's mission, vision and values as demonstrated by ongoing assessment and improvement.
- Increase and afford ample curricular and co-curricular opportunities for students to develop the habit of ethical analysis and commitment.
- Develop a robust Student Commitment to Learning, Reflection, Integrity, Achievement and Solidarity, parallel to this Commitment by the University.
- Enhance students' capacity to act with integrity, responsibility and accountability and strengthen systems that support these behaviors.
- Support and facilitate all members of the Xavier community to integrate the mission, vision and values of the University in their decision and actions.
- Strengthen systems and processes related to student transition into and through the university (orientation, retention, graduation, etc.).
- Align all student advising, mentoring and counseling functions to optimize the ability of our students to step successfully beyond the university, into employment, graduate and professional schools, etc.
- Employ high-impact learning strategies (e.g., first-year seminars and experiences, common intellectual experiences, learning communities, collaborative assignments and projects, etc.) for all students to enhance their learning and engagement, especially as they enter the university.
- Expand and offer opportunities for place-based and experiential learning (co-ops, study abroad, service learning, internships, etc.) to every student.
- Provide a variety of learning experiences, in and out of the classroom and on and off campus, through which students engage diversity and difference intellectually and experientially.
- Develop and support immersion experiences for students and faculty.
- Multiply community-engaged learning and scholarship opportunities whereby university faculty, staff and students and members of surrounding communities work towards shared goals.
- Foster teaching, learning and research opportunities for students, faculty and staff through partnerships around the globe.
- Recruit international students and faculty to teach and learn at Xavier and develop appropriate internal structures to support and encourage their full participation in University life.