Built in 1926, Schmidt Hall was the University's first library on its current campus, housing nearly 80,000 volumes at the time. As enrollment rose, Xavier eventually outgrew this library space, and it was replaced by the McDonald Memorial Library in 1967. The empty space in Schmidt was converted into classrooms, faculty offices and the Bursar's office. Schmidt is now home to many of Xavier's most significant offices, including the offices of the President, Provost, CFO and General Counsel.
- Michael J. Conaton Board Room
- Sister Mary Virginia Sullivan Conference Room
- Schmidt Hall was home to the Saint Robert Bellarmine Parish before Bellarmine Chapel was constructed in 1962.
- Michael Conaton ‘55 is former acting University president, chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1985-2004 and current board member.
- Sister Mary Virginia Sullivan was Edgecliff College’s first dean and later its president. Edgecliff became part of Xavier University in 1980.
Named After: Walter Seton Schmidt, a 1905 graduate and benefactor
Home to the: