Mother Teresa of Calcutta Sculpture

Mother Teresa of Calcutta (1910-1997) founded the "Missionaries for Charity,” an order of nuns who give "wholehearted and free service to the poorest of the poor” and received the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize for her charitable works.

The sculpture, gifted to Xavier by Bernard '49 and Jean Ann Downey, reflects her compassion and gentleness with others. She sits at one end of a campus bench giving those that choose to sit next to her the appearance of carrying on a casual conversation. 

       

    Quick Facts

     

    Gallery

    Erected: 2010

    Medium:
    Bronze casting in Italy

    Height:
     4'11''

    Location: Outside east entrance of Smith

     
    Additional Notes: