In 1919, Hinkle Hall was built as a residence hall for the Jesuit faculty teaching on campus and constructed along with Alumni Science Hall, now Edgecliff Hall. In 1970, the Jesuit Community moved to Schott Hall and Hinkle became a departmental building for the humanities. Hinkle Hall is a three-story building designed in a Tudor-Gothic style. The towers of Hinkle are designed to resemble the Francis Xavier Family Castle, located in Navarre, Spain. (See bottom photo of Xavier University faculty visiting the castle.)
Named After: Mrs. Frederick W. (Mary) Hinkle, a benefactor for the university.
- Hinkle Hall is the oldest standing building on campus.
- Mrs. Hinkle was the first donor to make a six-figure donation to Xavier University.