- 600,000 bricks were used in the facade
- The Hoff Dining Hall, named for a former Xavier president, is decorated with jumbo-sized campus photographs in the theme of the ‘Gifts of Our Ignatian Heritage’ (mission, reflection, discernment, solidarity and kinship, and service rooted in justice and love) and portions of the Seal of the Society of Jesus are etched in glass divider panels.
Bishop Edward Fenwick Place
On January 13, 1822, the Dominican priest Fr. Edward Dominic Fenwick (1768-1832) was consecrated as the first Bishop of the new Diocese of Cincinnati. In 1831, he founded the seminary of the Athenaeum of Ohio-Mount St. Mary’s of the West, the oldest Catholic seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains. It was a men’s college in downtown Cincinnati, adjacent to St. Xavier Church, which Fenwick dedicated to the patronage of Francis Xavier. In 1840, Fenwick’s successor, John Baptist Purcell, asked the Society of Jesus to take control of the school, and the Jesuits changed the name to St. Xavier College. In 1930, it became Xavier University.
The campus’ newest and second largest building is named for the Bishop. Fenwick Place is residence for 535 students in four connected buildings and the main dining commons, the Hoff Dining Hall, seat 700 diners.
Opened: August, 2011
Named After: Cincinnati's first bishop, Bishop Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P.
Square Footage: 245,000