Founded in 1935 by the Sisters of Mercy, Edgecliff College (originally known as Our Lady of Cincinnati College until 1969) was a private Catholic women's college located in the Walnut Hills area of Cincinnati. The College merged with Xavier University on July 1, 1980. Though Xavier sold the property in 1986, it sustained Edgecliff traditions by moving the fine arts and human service programs to the main campus. Today, art, music, nursing, and social work figure prominently in the University's educational mission. In 2000, Xavier's Alumni Hall was renovated and renamed Edgecliff Hall in honor of the college.