Andrew J. and Mary McDonald Memorial Library
Today, Xavier's library is located in the McDonald building, named in memory of Andrew J. and Mary McDonald. This building contains most of the library's collection of about: 373,425 volumes; 192,479 titles; 1,600 current journal subscriptions; 713,288 microforms; and 8,623 audiovisuals. There is also a growing digital collection of more than 200 web-based research databases, 40,000 electronic books and 25,000 electronic journals.
The University library can trace its history to 1840 when the buildings, programs and resources of the Athenaeum were transferred to the leadership of the Society of Jesus, and renamed St. Xavier College. At this time, the library contained a collection of 4,000 to 5,000 titles, predominantly in classical studies and philosophy.
Dedicated: May 7, 1967
- The building was given as a gift to the university by the Walter A. and George McDonald Foundation in memory of their parents Andrew J. and Mary McDonald.
- Andrew McDonald founded the McDonald Printing Company in 1869.
Archbishop Alter blessed the building at the dedication ceremony.
In 2011, the Conaton Learning Commons was built adjacent to the McDonald Library; the two buildings are joined together on the third and second floors of the McDonald building.