Director of Faculty Programs in Mission and Identity
a half-time administrative position in the Center for Mission & Identity
beginning in August 2013
Position is renewable annually for up to 3 years
The Center for Mission & Identity seeks a tenured faculty member eager to engage and assist colleagues in transforming students in the Ignatian-Jesuit educational tradition on order to fully animate the University Mission and Academic Vision.
The Director will provide creative leadership for mission-related activities involving faculty. Opportunities to design innovative educational and integrative professional development experiences and coordination with national networks (i.e., Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, Lilly Fellows Program in the Humanities and Arts) are offered.
- Assist in the administration of the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education, including serving as chair of the advisory board, advancing relevant recommendations of Discernment Group III, and supporting initiatives of the Conway Faculty Fellow.
- Create innovative educational programs, activities and resources on mission-related pedagogy and Jesuit education.
- Coordinate and update current faculty-focused activities such as the Ignatian Mentoring Program and Departmental Colloquia.
- Support the Center’s activities attended by both staff and faculty, such as Manresa and Conversation Hours.
- Coordinate and prepare faculty delegations to annual conferences and retreats, such as the National Magis retreat, Collegium, the Lilly Fellows Program Conference, and the Heartland-Delta Faculty Conversations conference.
- Serve as a representative to network associations (i.e., AJCU, Lilly Fellows), as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with academic offices (e.g., Provost/CAO, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, deans, CTE) to advance the University’s strategic goals, particularly as they relate the mission and identity.
- 10% increase in current annual salary and benefits
- 50% course reduction over the academic year (with adjunct faculty replacement funds to the Department of tenure)
- Position support
- Program development funds
- Professional development opportunities and funding (e.g., conference travel expenses)
- Secretarial assistance
- Tenured faculty member
- Familiarity with Ignatian pedagogy and a commitment to enhancing faculty development in this area
- Sensitivity towards- and comfort with- a religiously pluralistic campus community
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Previous participation in mission-orientation programs (i.e., Ignatian Mentoring Program, AFMIX), preferred
The following should be sent electronically to Diana Rischmann (email@example.com) with the subject line “Director application” by October 12, 2012:
- A 1-2 page letter outlining interest, qualifications and potential ventures or focus
- A supporting letter from the department chair, or, in the case of a department chair, a supporting letter from the dean.
Applications will be reviewed by a faculty panel. The panel and representative staff of the Center will interview finalists and offer recommendations. Debra Mooney, Assistant to the President for Mission and Identity/Founding Director of the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education will make the final decision in consultation with Steve Herbert, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Graduate School.
For information on the activities of the current and previous directors (David Burns - Marketing, Gillian Ahlgren – Theology, respectively) see here.
Questions about the position can be directed to David Burns firstname.lastname@example.org