In keeping with its Catholic, Jesuit tradition, the mission of the Graduate Program in Health Services Administration (GPHSA) at Xavier University is to educate knowledgeable, highly skilled, values-oriented future leaders who will contribute to the health of society by continuously improving the management of health related organizations through employment in decision support, managerial and/or executive positions. The program will accomplish its mission through:
- Challenging students in the classroom and in applied field experiences including internships and required residencies (scholar-practitioner program) to think critically, to connect coursework to organizational experiences, and to grow in executive skills (writing, speaking, self-management, follow-through, leadership)
- Developing internal and external collaborative relationships with academicians and with health care practitioners which lead to innovations in teaching as well as in the delivery of health services
- Incorporating research, scholarship, and collaborative projects into the classroom experiences and field work.
Xavier University's Graduate Program in Health Services Administration will be nationally recognized as an outstanding program providing both health services administration education on the graduate level and continuing education for current health care managers and leaders.
The GPHSA is committed to responsible conduct in the development of value-centered leaders in health services administration. The following are the values to which the GPHSA students, faculty and staff are committed:
- Respect - defined as positive regard and consideration for others.
- Accountability - defined as responsibility for actions, behavior and decisions; answerability.
- Integrity - defined as consistency in adherence to moral and ethical principles.
- Equity - defined as fairness and justice.
Open communications - defined as:
- a willingness and an intention to share information in an equitable way;
- a willingness to enter into dialogue in which both listening and speaking are valued;
- a willingness to create an interpersonal climate in which people have freedom to express their opinions, thoughts and feelings without fear.
Men and Women for Others: Thinkers, Inspirers and Leaders in Health Services Administration