Quiz: Building Boom
1. John Elet, after whom Elet hall is named, was the University’s:
a. Founder b. First president c. Distinguished alumni d. First football player to be drafted into the NFL
2. What organization donated the laboratory equipment for the Biology Building?
a. Women’s League of Greater Cincinnati b. Knights of Columbus c. Procter & Gamble d. Society of Jesus
3. Students in the 1920s once referred to Victory Parkway as what?
a. Dividers Parkway b. Dead Man’s Ditch c. Leap Street d. Bloody Run Boulevard
4. The St. Xavier college catalog reported in 1927 that smoking in class buildings was prohibited except in the basement of what building?
a. Hinkle Hall b. Library Building c. Biology Building d. Fieldhouse
5. What was the housing deposit in 1924 for men who wanted to take up residence in Elet Hall?
a. $10 b. $20 c. $50 d. $100
6. The stacks in the first library building, built in 1926, had a capacity of how many volumes?
a. 50,000 b. 100,000 c. 150,000 d. 200,000
7. As a businessman, Walter S. Schmidt (patron of Schmidt Hall and Schmidt Fieldhouse) counted what among his most noteworthy activities?
a. Leading a movement toward the development of expressways b. Developing a new technology for sound recording c. Funding an initial study on petroleum-fueled engines d. Opening international trade channels for Cincinnati-made goods
8. In addition to housing the department of biology, what else did the Biology Building comprise in 1929?
a. Department of physics b. Department of mathematics c. President’s office d. All of the above
9. At the dedication of the Fieldhouse on March 7, 1928, Xavier enjoyed a 29-25 victory over the University of Cincinnati. How many people were in attendance?
a. 5,000 b. 10,000 c. 15,000 d. 20,000
ANSWERS: 1) b 2) b 3) d 4) c 5) a 6) c 7) a 8) d 9) b
Click here to read the full story.