XU.tutor FIND: Formulating a search and searching databases
This tutorial will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Student Learning Outcome
The information literate student will be able to construct a variety of high-quality, efficient searches.
This tutorial will teach you how to:
- Review different types of sources
- Identify keywords that describe the topic
- Construct and implement effectively designed search strategies using keywords.
- Use library resources to find books, articles, etc.
Table of Contents
- The research process
- Types of sources
- Scholarly vs. Popular
- Scholarly vs Popular Comparison
- Scholarly vs Popular Examples
- Primary vs Secondary Definitions
- Primary vs Secondary Examples
- Begin your research
- Developing keywords
- Using keywords
- Internet vs. Databases
- What is Search@XU
- Searching for sources
- Boolean Logic
- Using AND
- Using OR
- Using NOT
- Using Truncation
- Finding Articles
- Finding Books
- Location Numbers
- Helpful Resources
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.