What is the correct way to paraphrase? Tips
- To paraphrase long passages, it is better to take notes and outline the passage and then write your paraphrase from your notes, without looking at the original passage.
- Change the words, not the meaning
- Use a good dictionary to find synonyms and to check their usage and context.
- Do not change the tone.
- Do not add information.
- Do not leave anything out.
- Check your paraphrase with the original. Be sure you have not unintentionally used the same words or phrases.
- Try to sound like "you."
- Include all the citation information when you are taking notes.
More information on quotations, paraphrases and summarizing is available at the University of New South Wales (PDF).