Using the "live" database demo window below you will discover thesaurus terms for keyword phrases not in the thesaurus. If necessary, follow the remote authentication instructions on your screen. You are viewing ERIC, an education database.
- Click on the word Thesaurus on the blue bar at the top of the page.
- Type teenagers in the Browse textbox.
- Click the Browse button.
- The database responds with the message: The term(s) you entered could not be found...
- The above message is followed by: Teenagers (1966-1980) Use Adolescents
- Click on the word Adolescents and then click on the term Adolescents again to display the details. The database will display all related terms for the thesaurus term, adolescents.
- Check the boxes beside adolescents, early adolescents, high school students, preadolescents, secondary school students and youth.
- Click Add.
- Then click the Search button.
- The database will return a list of documents that include the above subject headings.
- Viewing document titles confirm that the database has suggested an appropriate thesaurus term from your keyword phrase.