Exporting References from JSTOR
An Individual Reference (easiest way) | Multiple References (create a profile way)
The new 2009 JSTOR interface requires users to establish a personal profile to save, email or export multiple citations into RefWorks.
At the JSTOR homepage, mouse over MyJSTOR in the top menu and click the Profile in the drop-down list.
- The Login window will open. Click the Register link.
- Fill out the entire registration form and then click the Submit buuton on the bottom of the page.
- After you have successfully registered, mouse over Search in the top menu and select Basic or Advanced.
- Conduct your search and at your search results check the references you want.
- Click Save citation(s).
- Mouse over MyJSTOR in the top menu and click Saved Ctiations.
- On the My Saved Citations page, click Select/unselect all.
- Click Export article citations.
- Under Export Citations click the RefWorks link.
Go to Importing References into RefWorks.
- Conduct your search and at your search results click Export this Citation under the reference you want.
- In the Export Citations window, click RefWorks.
Importing References into RefWorks
At the RefWorks User Login page:
- Enter your login name.
- Enter your password.
- Click Login.
NOTE: If you are in an off-campus location, you will be asked for a Group Code. Call the reference desk at 513 745-4808 to obtain this information.
The RefWorks Import page will open
- RefWorks will prompt with Import completed when it is finished.
- Click View Last Imported Folder to view your references.
- If some or all of your references are not imported, follow these instructions:
- On JSTOR's Export Citations page, select the BibTex link instead of the RefWorks link.
- Your references will open in a new browser window.
- Click Save As on the browser's File menu.
- The Save Web Page window will open.
- Save the file to your Desktop.
- Accept the default file name, downloadCitation, but change the Save as type to Text File (*.txt).
- Click the Save button.
- Go to RefWorks and log in.
- Mouse over References on the menu bar and click Import from the drop-down list.
- Click the down arrow in the Import Filter/Data Source select box and click BibTex from the drop-down list.
- Your screen will refresh.
- Click the down arrow in the Database select box and click Bibdesk (BibTex format) from the drop-down list.
- Click the Browse button next to the Import Data from the Following Text File box.
- Locate the downloadCitation.txt file on your desktop and double-click it.
- It will appear in the Import Data from the Following Text File box.
- Click the Import button.
- Return to numbers 1 and 2 in this section.
RefWorks will display references in the Last Imported Folder window.
For information about searching and sorting your citations or about creating and organizing folders click the RefWorks HELP
link, or for information about downloading citations from different databases, see the RefWorks help links in the library's database lists (see second image below).
Click the FIND IT @ XU icon to see if an article is available in full-text, print or microform format and to submit an interlibrary loan request.