These instructions were created in Windows XP. In other operating systems the windows may have different names and a different look and feel. These instructions assume that you have searched the Cochrane Database and have a list of results.
Exporting References from the Cochrane Database
- After you submit your search strategy, your Search Results will display.
Mark the records you want to import by clicking the check boxes next to each reference.
Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Click the Export Selected Citations button.
The Citation Export page will display.
Select Abstract and citation from the Export Type drop-down list.
Select the appropriate type of computer/operating system from the File Type drop-down list.
Click the Go button.
The File Download window will appear.
Note the name of the file you are downloading, cit-abs-plain... and the type of file you are downloading, Text Document (txt).
Click the Save button.
- The Save As window will open.
- Note the name of the file you are saving, cit-abs-plain....txt.
- Note where you are saving the file.
- Click the Save button.
- The Download Complete window will open.
- Click Close.
Importing References into RefWorks
From the library's homepage under the Welcome! tab, click RefWorks.
The RefWorks Login Center page will open
Enter your login name.
Enter your password.
Click the Login button.
NOTE: If you are in an off-campus location, the initial RefWorks Login Center page will look different and you will be asked for a Group Code. If you do not know the group code, call the reference desk at 513 745-4808 to obtain this information.
- Click References in the top menu.
- Then click Import in the drop-down menu..
Click the down arrow in the Import Filter/Data Source drop-down box and select the Wiley InterScience import filter. Your screen will refresh.
Currently there is only one databse for this import filter, Wiley InterScience.
Click the Browse button adjacent to the Import Data from the following Text File textbox.
- The Choose File window will open.
- Click the cit-abs-plain.....txt file.
- It will appear in the File name textbox.
- Click Open.
At the RefWorks Import page:
- Note that the path and cit-abs-plain.....txt file display in the Import Data textbox.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the page.
The RefWorks Import page will open
- RefWorks will prompt with Import completed when it is finished.
- Click View Last Imported Folder to view your references.
RefWorks will display references in the Last Imported Folder window.
For information about searching and sorting your citations or about creating and organizing folders click the RefWorks HELP
link, or for information about downloading citations from different databases, see the RefWorks help links in the library's database lists (see second image below).
Click the FIND IT @ XU icon to see if an article is available in full-text, print or microform format and to submit an interlibrary loan request.