These instructions were created in Windows XP. In other operating systems the windows may have different names and a different look and feel. Databases that would use these instruction include:
- Current Index to Statistics
The exporting instructions are slightly different for each database.
- Before begining your search, click the down arrow in the Format select box.
- Click Bib Tex format.
- Enter your search strategy.
- Click Sbubmit Query.
- At your search results check the recods you want to export into RefWorks.
- Click the down arrow in the select box in the top left corner of your screen and select Citations (Bib Tex).
- Click Retrieve Marked.
From this point on the instructions are essentially the same for both databases.
- Your results will display in a new window in the Bib Tex format.
- On your browser's menu bar, click File.
- Select Save As from the drop-down menu.
The Save As window will open.
- Note the name of the file you are saving,
Click the down arrow in the Save as type select box and click Text File.
Note where you are saving the file.
- CIS Search.. (for Current Index to Statistics)
- Selected Matches... (for MathSciNet)
Importing References into RefWorks
From the library's homepage under the Welcome! tab, click RefWorks.
At the RefWorks User Login page:
- Enter your login name.
- Enter your password.
- Click Login.
NOTE: If you are in an off-campus location, you will be asked for a Group Code. Call the reference desk at 513 745-4808 to obtain this information.
- Click References in the top menu.
- Then click Import in the drop-down menu..
- Click the down arrow in the Import Filter/Data Source drop-down box and select the Bib Tex import filter. Your screen will refresh.
- Click the down arrow in the Database drop-down box and select the appropriate database.
- Click the Browse button adjacent to the Import Data from the following Text File textbox.
In the Choose File window:
- Click the appropriate text file you saved previously.
- Click Open.
At the RefWorks Import page:
- Note the path and text file display in the Import Data textbox.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the page.
The RefWorks Import page will open
- RefWorks will prompt with Import completed when it is finished.
- Click View Last Imported Folder to view your references.
- RefWorks will display references in the Last Imported Folder window.
- For information about searching and sorting your citations or about creating and organizing folders click the RefWorks HELP link, or for information about downloading citations from different databases, see the RefWorks help links in the library's database lists (see second image below).
- Click the FIND IT @ XU icon to see if an article is available in full-text, print or microform format and to submit an interlibrary loan request.