Notice of Responsible Use
Xavier University Library Policy of Responsible Use
Xavier University Library provides access to many sources of information including the Internet, online catalogs, research databases and full text book and journal collections. The library is committed to providing an atmosphere that promotes research and intellectual freedom, encourages access to knowledge and allows the sharing of information. The library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed over the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content.
The Library’s computer workstations and other technical resources support the research, learning and teaching activities of Xavier faculty, staff and students. These members of the Xavier community have academic priority at all times. Others granted academic priority include visiting members of the Society of Jesus, visiting faculty, and individuals with a current ID card from another OhioLINK institution.
- Selected resources and services of Xavier University’s McDonald Library may be accessed by community visitors from the greater Cincinnati area.
- A single computer workstation, located near the COnnection Center is available for use by community visitors. This computer workstation is available on a frist come, first serve basis. No printing is available from this computer workstation.
- Community visitors using the computer workstastion must yield access to any member of Xavier University with academic priority, including faculty, staff and students, if asked to do so by a University staff member. There may be certain times during the year when the computer workstation is unavailable to community visitors.
- Visitors with personal laptops may access the Xavier Guest Wireless Network from their devices.
Code of Conduct
- Use of the Library’s resources, including computer equipment and software, must occur in a manner consistent with pertinent University policies, procedures and codes of conduct, in addition to applicable international, federal, state and local laws.
- Unattended Children: Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Parents or guardians cannot delegate this responsibility to another child. Library staff will contact Xavier Safety and Security if unattended children are seen in the Library or Conaton Learning Commons.
- Sexual Harassment: The public display of sexually explicit material on a library computer is considered a form of sexual harassment. Xavier faculty, staff and students are protected from sexual harassment by law. If a Library employee witnesses such a display, or if a complaint is registered, the user will be asked to discontinue displaying the offensive material. If the user does not desist Xavier’s Safety and Security officers will be called and the user will be escorted from the library. Offenders will be permanently banned from the library.
- Noise: To facilitate student collaboration the library permits talking at normal levels on the first floor, the lower level production room and in the group spaces on the secondfloor. Quiet talking is permitted on the rest of the second floor. The entire third floor is restricted to quiet study.
Cell phones: The following guidelines apply to all users:
- Cellular phones should be set to “silent/mute” or “vibrate” upon entering the library.
- Talking quietly on a cellular phone is permited on the first floor and the lower level, provided the use of the cellular phone does not disturb other library patrons.
- Cellular phone use is prohibited on the second and third floors
- Taking pictures or transmitting pictures of individuals over your cellular phone without their permission is prohibited.
- The library reserves the right to ask cellular phone users to end calls, relocate or leave the library if they disturb other library users or use a cellular phone in restricted areas.