Patron Use Guidelines
University Archives and Special Collections are unique collections of Xavier University library. Their fragile and irreplaceable condition requires careful monitoring and handling. Every effort is made to protect and preserve these collections. The following guidelines are set to this end.
Access to University Archives & Special Collections
Access to University Archives and Special Collections stacks is restricted to library staff designated by the Library Director. Designated staff may invite a patron to enter the collections area in special situations.
Access to University Archives and Special Collections is by appointment only. Patrons may be required to complete a Patron Registration Form prior to using the collections. In addition, positive identification may be kept (e.g. driver’s license) while patrons use the materials.
We will respond to all requests as quickly as possible, consistent with the appropriateness of a patron’s request and an absence of confidentiality issues. If a request requires us to do complicated research it may be up to two weeks before we can respond.
University Archives Requests
Special Collections Requests
Xavier University Library
3800 Victory Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45207-5211
Fax 513 745-1932
Circulation & Loans
University Archives and Special Collections materials do not circulate. If you are interested in archival material for external exhibitions, contact Anne Ryckbost, firstname.lastname@example.org. Use of archival material is subject to the University Library Exhibition Policy.
The handling of University Archives and Special Collections materials are subject to the following guidelines:
- Patrons will register and leave some form of picture identification which is held while materials are in use.
- Use of these materials will be under the direct monitoring of the designated library staff member.
- Patrons should not eat or drink while materials are in use.
- Only materials needed for research should be taken into the viewing area. Briefcases, handbags and computer cases as well as coats and hats are not allowed in the viewing area. All personal effects are subject to inspection prior to and following patrons viewing materials.
- Patrons should use pencils only while working with materials.
- Tracings may not be made from materials.
- Post-it notes and bookmarks are not allowed; only acid-free slips (available in the library) should be placed in materials.
- No books or other materials should be placed on top of materials.
- Patrons may be required to wear gloves while viewing materials.
- Materials will be viewed in a controlled manner. A limited number of volumes or archives folders will be viewed at one time. All materials should be viewed flat on the table.
- Photocopying/scanning of materials is discouraged and will be done only at the discretion of the library staff member. Fragile materials will not be reproduced. Patrons are liable for any copyright infringement where applicable. All photocopying/scanning is to be done by a library staff member at the requestor's expense at 50 cents per page.
The library reserves the right to deny access to these materials or to modify these guidelines as needed due to the condition of materials or to the availability of staff.
University Archives Photographs
See these copyright guidelines for using University Archives photographs.
Materials in Digital Collections
Materials in digital collections can be used without filling out the registration form, but users must adhere to the following copyright statement.
The collections in EXHIBIT or on other digital platforms may be used by individuals for personal use, research, teaching, or any fair use as defined in Section 107 of the U. S. Copyright Law. Contact the copyright holder (authors) for permission to distribute or copy documents for purposes that do not qualify as fair use. Xavier University can claim only physical ownership of these collections. The user is responsible for satisfying any claims of the copyright holder. Some uses may infringe upon the rights of copyright holders unknown to Xavier University. Xavier University Library is eager to hear from any copyright holders who are not properly identified. Direct any notices of infringement to Anne Davies at email@example.com.
The University Library endeavors to make works publicly available in unredacted form, including items that contain incorporated third-party copyrighted materials, such as illustrations, graphics, questionnaires, quotations, etc., using the principle of fair use in copyright law to maintain the integrity of these works. We always encourage authors to seek permission to include any third-party copyrighted content, and request that authors provide full attribution for all third-party copyrighted materials used in their works. If you are an author/rights holder and you feel that your copyright or any other intellectual property right has been infringed or violated in any way, please send notice to Anne Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org or 513 745-4803)