Be a Tutor
LAC Peer Tutors are the lifeblood of the tutoring program. These exceptional students are friendly, helpful, and skilled in communicating with other students.
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, please review the job expectations below and apply to be a Tutor! We accept applications at any time and will keep them active until positions are available. We often hire in March for the following Fall semester and sometimes hire in October if there is a need for additional tutors in the Fall. Check back for official deadlines during those months.
Peer Tutors are paid student employees.
LAC Peer Tutors:
- Tutor at least five hours per week. Prepare for and be prompt in arriving to scheduled client sessions.
- Develop a professional, honest, caring, and comfortable relationship with clients.
- Be attentive to client needs, especially as they pertain to study skills.
- Follow office procedures and complete all necessary paperwork, including an evaluation of each tutoring session.
- Complete tutor training, approximately 10 (paid) initial hours during the first year of employment and additional hours during future years of employment.
- Check e-mail daily to learn about scheduled appointments or LAC updates.
- Attend MANDATORY tutor meetings. A schedule is shared at the beginning of each semester.
- Maintain high academic standards, including a 3.3 GPA in subjects tutored and a 3.0 GPA overall.