Martyrs of the Universidad Centroamericana (UCA)
On November 16, 1989 six Jesuit priests at the Universidad Centroamericana (UCA) were assassinated along with their housekeeper and her daughter by the Atlacatl commando unit of the Salvadoran military.
For more details see our A-Z page
- Universidad Centroamericana's webpage dedicated to the martyrs
- Xavier University's Dr. Gillian Ahlgren reflects on how Jesuit education was influenced by this event
- Creighton University Resource Page
- Ignatian Solidarity Network Resource Page
- Santa Clara University's Luke Hansen, S.J's article "Memory and Healing in El Salvador"
- Santa Clara University's Luke Hansen, S.J's photo journal "Memory and Healing in El Salvador"
- Fr. Joseph E. Mulligan, S.J., describes the martyrdom and situates it in its historical and theological context.
- Twenty-Five Years After a Massacre, Jesuits Reflect on the Meaning and the Martyrdom By William Bole for the Jesuit Conference
- A Jesuit Inspiration, Michael C. McCarthy
- Artist Brings Jesuit Martyrs to Life in Humanizing Portraits, Becky Sindelar
- Human Rights Activist Jesuit Father Ismael Moreno Coto Brings Honduran Advocacy to the U.S., Doris Yu
From the 25th Anniversary in 2014 (in the AJCU's November CONNECTIONS)
- In Memory of the Martyrs of the University of Central America, Rev. Kevin Quinn SJ
- Honoring Jesuits Killed 25 Years Ago for Seeking Justice for the Poor, Deborah Lohse
- Clear Voices, Silenced: Remembering the Murder of Six Jesuits, Mary Jo McConahay
- Murder of Salvadoran priests galvanized Jesuits in the US, Timothy A. Byrnes
- 25 Years of Inspiration: Reflections on the Martyrs, Tracey Primrose
- Jesuits Commemorate 25th Anniversary of El Salvador Murders
- Fr. Andreu Oliva’s homily from the service on the 25th anniversary of the Salvadoran Martyrs’ passing
- Jesuits Reflect on the Meaning and the Martyrdom, William Bole
From the 20th Anniversary in 2009
By Robert Lentz OFM
Lighting the Way: Student Athletes
This excellent book of reflections on Jesuit values was written by student athletes for student athletes. Articles include: Magis, Cura Personalis, Solidarity, Service, and several others. The book concludes with reflection questions to help student athletes reflect on their development of these values.
This handsome, spiral-bound "undated" planner is perfect for faculty, staff, and students alike. Its pages include quotes, illustrations, and reflections. Use it for your daily schedule or journaling.
Jesuit Education & Ignatian Pedagogy
This colorful, double-sided desktop primer has basic facts about Jesuit Education and Ignatian Pedagogy on one side and the Gifts of Our Ignatian Heritage (mission, reflection, discernment, solidarity and kinship, service rooted in justice and love and justice, cura personalis and magis) defined on the other side.
To subscribe to our online newsletter or provide feedback,
please email email@example.com.
Jesuitresource.org is developed by
The Center for Mission and Identity at Xavier University
with support from the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education
To learn more about us, click here.