The current pope, Francis (formerly Cardinal Jorge Maro Bergoglio),
was elected on March 13, 2013. He is a pope of many "firsts".
- Jesuit pope
- to take the name "Francis"
- non-European in modern time
- from the Western Hemisphere
Speeches during the U.S. visit, September 22-27, 2015
- Five Minutes With Francis
- Pope Francis' Modest Lifestyle 'Personifies' The Message of The Catholic Church
- 15 Leadership Characteristics Inspired by Pope Francis (Debra Mooney, 2015)
- What Pope Francis spoke about in year two of his pontificate
- Pope Francis Finds Favor Across the World
- Seven Lessons from Pope Francis (Joan McKarney, 2014)
- Pope Francis Reveals Top 10 Secrets to Happiness (Carol Glatz, 2014)
- Pope Francis' Five Finger Prayer
- Download the Twitter App
Articles in the Popular Press by Xavier Authors
- Op-ed: Pope Francis embodies the Jesuit ideal of courage and service by Fr. George Traub SJ
- Opinion: Francis shows way to life of joy by Dr. Debra Mooney
- XU president excited about Pope Francis' visit interview with Fr. Michael Graham, SJ
- Pope Francis and the Culture of Encounter by John Allen
- Pope Francis announces a Jubilee Year dedicated to mercy
December 8, 2015 the Feast of the Immaculate Conception to 11/20/16 the Solemnity of Jesus Christ
Francis's Words about Women
- Francis's Words about Women: What Does He Really Think? By Rita Ferone
Encyclicals and Apostolic Exhortations
- Amoris LÆtitia - On Love in the Family, signed on April 8, 2016.
- Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel - Apostalic Exhortation on the Gospel in today's world signed on November 24, 2013.
- Laudato Si - On Care for Our Common Home, signed on May 24, 2015
- Lumen Fidei: Light of Faith - the first encyclical of Pope Francis which was signed on June 29, 2013.
Biographies of Jorge Bergoglio SJ / Pope Francis
- Paul Vallely, Pope Francis: Untying the Knots (2013)
- Austen Ivereigh, The Great Reformer: Francis and the making of a radical Pope (2014)
- Paul Vallely, Pope Francis: Unyting the Knots - The Struggle for the Soul of Catholicism (2015)
- John Boehner announces Pope Francis to address a joint meeting of congress
- Mass at the Gesú in Rome (Jan 3, 2014)
- World Youth Day: Welcome Ceremony of the Pope (Jul 22, 2013)
- Praying the Holy Rosary with the Pope (May 4, 2013)
- Inaugural Mass of the Pontificate of Francis (Mar 19, 2013)
- Click here for more videos
Speeches, Interviews, and Homilies
- Pope Francis' Top 10 Tips For Bringing Greater Joy to One's Life (July 29, 2014)
- Interview with Pope Francis - Ash Wednesday 2014 (Mar 5, 2014)
by the Italian daily Corriere della Sera
- Pope Francis' 2014 Lenten Message (Dec 26, 2013)
- Big Heart Open to God (Sept 30, 2013)
Interview with Pope Francis by Antonio Spadaro, S.J., editor in chief of La Civiltà Cattolica
- First Homily of Pope Francis (Mar 14, 2013)
Announcements About the First Jesuit Being Elected Pope
- The Society's Superior General, Adolfo Nicolás S.J., issued a statement about Bergoglio's election.
- AJCU President's Statement on the election of the new pope.
- The Catholic News Service reports on the new pope and the Jesuits'
surpriseat Bergoglio's election.
- The National Catholic Reporter announces Bergoglio's election as pope.
- USA Today writes about the order of the Society of Jesus.
- The New York Times' editorial cartoon by Patrick Chappatte.
Teaching to the Mission
In this updated pedagogical resource, faculty describe how they incorporate the Jesuit mission and identity into their specific courses, from chemistry to marketing to theology.
This handsome, spiral-bound "undated" planner is perfect for faculty, staff, and students alike. Its pages include quotes, illustrations, and reflections. Use it for your daily schedule or journaling.
Do You Speak Ignatian?
A mini-dictionary that defines many of the terms used in conversations in Ignatian and Jesuit circles. More than 70,000 copies of this publication have been distributed around the world.
To subscribe to our online newsletter or provide feedback,
please email email@example.com.
Jesuitresource.org is developed by
The Center for Mission and Identity at Xavier University
with support from the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education
To learn more about us, click here.