- The current pope, Francis (formerly Cardinal Jorge Maro Bergoglio), was elected on March 13, 2013. He is a pope of many "firsts", the first:
- - Jesuit pope
- - to take the name "Francis"
- - non-European in modern time
- - from the Western Hemisphere
Visit to the U.S. September 22-27, 2015
22 Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews - 4:00 p.m.
White House visit in Washington DC
Meet with bishops
Canonization Mass at the National Basilica
Photos with seminarians
23 Meeting with President Obama at the White House - 9:15 a.m.
Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthews Cathedral - 11:30 a.m.
Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine to the Immaculate Conception - 4:15 p.m.
24 Address at a joint session of Congress - 9:20 a.m.
Visit Catholic Charities - 11:15 a.m.
Vespers with N.Y. Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio at St. Patrick's Cathedral
25 Address to the U.N. in New York - 8:30 a.m.
Visit Ground Zero - 11:30 a.m.
Appear at a Catholic elementary school in Harlem - 4:00 p.m.
Mass at Madison Square Garden - 6:00 pm
26 Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Philadelphia - 10:30 a.m.
Speech at Independence Mall - 4:45 p.m.
Speech in front of 1 million at the World Meeting of Families
27 Meet with bishops, seminarians - 9:15 a.m.
Meet with prisoners and their families - 11:00 a.m.
Appearance in the Popemobile
Mass to 2 million at the World Meeting of Families
- Pope Francis' U.S. visit in High Gear
- Speaker Boehner Invites Pope Francis to Address Joint Meeting of Congress
- Pope Francis to Address a Joint Meeting of Congress
- U.S Marine who will welcome Pope Francis to Philadelphia
- World Meeting of Families
- World Meeting of Families Schedule
- Five Minutes With Francis
- Pope Francis' Modest Lifestyle 'Personifies' The Message of The Catholic Church
- 15 Leadership Characteristics Inspired by Pope Francis (Debra Mooney, 2015)
- What Pope Francis spoke about in year two of his pontificate
- Pope Francis Finds Favor Across the World
- Seven Lessons from Pope Francis (Joan McKarney, 2014)
- Pope Francis Reveals Top 10 Secrets to Happiness (Carol Glatz, 2014)
- Pope Francis' Five Finger Prayer
- Download the Twitter App
- Pope Francis and the Culture of Encounter by John Allen
Pope Francis announces a Jubilee Year dedicated to mercy
December 8, 2015 the Feast of the Immaculate Conception to 11/20/16 the Solemnity of Jesus Christ
Encyclicals and Apostolic Exhortations
- Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel - Apostalic Exhortation on the Gospel in today's world signed on November 24, 2013.
- Laudato Si
- Lumen Fidei: Light of Faith - the first encyclical of Pope Francis which was signed on June 29, 2013.
See a Brief Biography of Jorge Bergoglio SJ
- John Boehner announces Pope Francis to address a joint meeting of congress
- Mass at the Gesú in Rome (Jan 3, 2014)
- World Youth Day: Welcome Ceremony of the Pope (Jul 22, 2013)
- Praying the Holy Rosary with the Pope (May 4, 2013)
- Inaugural Mass of the Pontificate of Francis (Mar 19, 2013)
Speeches, Interviews, and Homilies
- Pope Francis' Top 10 Tips For Bringing Greater Joy to One's Life (July 29, 2014)
Interview with Pope Francis - Ash Wednesday 2014 (Mar 5, 2014)
by the Italian daily Corriere della Sera
- Pope Francis' 2014 Lenten Message (Dec 26, 2013)
Big Heart Open to God (Sept 30, 2013)
Interview with Pope Francis by Antonio Spadaro, S.J., editor in chief of La Civiltà Cattolica
- First Homily of Pope Francis (Mar 14, 2013)
Announcements About the First Jesuit Being Elected Pope
- The Society's Superior General, Adolfo Nicolás S.J., issued a statement about Bergoglio's election.
- AJCU President's Statement on the election of the new pope.
The Catholic News Service reports on the new pope and the Jesuits'
surpriseat Bergoglio's election.
- The National Catholic Reporter announces Bergoglio's election as pope.
- USA Today writes about the order of the Society of Jesus.
- The New York Times' editorial cartoon by Patrick Chappatte.
Jesuitresource.org is developed by
The Center for Mission and Identity at Xavier University
with support from the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education
To learn more about us, click here.