The current pope, Francis (formerly Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio), was elected on March 13, 2013. He is a pope of many "firsts", the first:
- Jesuit pope
- to take the name "Francis"
- non-European in Modern time
- from the Western Hemisphere
Encyclicals and Apostolic Exhortations
- Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel - Apostalic Exhortation on the Gospel in today's world signed on November 24, 2013.
- Lumen Fidei: Light of Faith - the first encyclical of Pope Francis which was signed on June 29, 2013.
See a Brief Biography of Jorge Bergoglio SJ
- Mass at the Gesú in Rome (Jan 3, 2014)
- World Youth Day: Welcome Ceremony of the Pope (Jul 22, 2013)
- Praying the Holy Rosary with the Pope (May 4, 2013)
- Inaugural Mass of the Pontificate of Francis (Mar 19, 2013)
Speeches, Interviews, and Homilies
- Pope Francis' Top 10 Tips For Bringing Greater Joy to One's Life (July 29, 2014)
Interview with Pope Francis - Ash Wednesday 2014 (Mar 5, 2014)
by the Italian daily Corriere della Sera
- Pope Francis' 2014 Lenten Message (Dec 26, 2013)
Big Heart Open to God (Sept 30, 2013)
Interview with Pope Francis by Antonio Spadaro, S.J., editor in chief of La Civiltà Cattolica
- First Homily of Pope Francis (Mar 14, 2013)
Announcements About the First Jesuit Being Elected Pope
- The Society's Superior General, Adolfo Nicolás S.J., issued a statement about Bergoglio's election.
- AJCU President's Statement on the election of the new pope.
The Catholic News Service reports on the new pope and the Jesuits'
surpriseat Bergoglio's election.
- The National Catholic Reporter announces Bergoglio's election as pope.
- USA Today writes about the order of the Society of Jesus.
- The New York Times' editorial cartoon by Patrick Chappatte.
Jesuitresource.org is developed by
The Center for Mission and Identity at Xavier University
with support from the Conway Institute for Jesuit Education
To learn more about us, click here.